1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant sports editor, The (Trenton, N.J.) Trentonian

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wicked, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Come on BYH answer the phone

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

did you read 4 posts above yours?
    Nighthawk, can you pass along my crossword puzzle suggestion?

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Apparently I'm not allowed to talk about the JRC anymore b/c a 12-year-old had a good internship there.

I had a good internship, too, at a JRC shop when I was 12. Then, like now, they loved the free (or almost free) labor.

Notice the 12-year-old doesn't answer my questions about "mobile journalism" and the death of full-time photographers at the JRC.

4. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Sure did, and was hoping he'd do that thing where he rips apart the job ad, word for word. Man, those are gems.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Which was why I was paging him.

Even if the paper's way of treating employees has improved, it will take many years for JRC to shed their image of being one of the worst companies to work for, in any industry. Check out some other sites, such as Glassdoor. JRC is universally hated.

Any company that hired and kept a CEO who helped run the company into the ground while collecting a huge salary and would fire poorly-paid, overworked employees for mispelling a kid's name in a youth hockey boxscore, that, coincidentally, his own kid was playing in, deserves derision for a very long time.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Ahh. That is a good call, love to read that also. Best one ever (IMO) was the sports network release about hiring Norm McLean.

7. Um, no, I don't work there.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You never did. An internship is not a job, it's a lifestyle.

9. Then either way, what I said about not working there is true.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

You forgot "...and made newspapers in areas where hockey was barely a rumor cover prep hockey because his kid played it, and also not only ordered Little League covered but ordered full box scores of all games, because his kid played it."

Or am I not allowed to say that, since the new JRC is awesome and happy and awesome b/c an intern had a nice time there?

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

That's right. No bad things to say about JRC. Everything is great in the new open-source age.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Whatever is being said about this job isn't affecting the number of applicants applying. Triple digits and counting.

Draft saved Draft deleted