1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant sports editor, The (Trenton, N.J.) Trentonian

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wicked, Nov 22, 2010.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

From jjobs.

Company: Trentonian
    Position:
    Seeking Assistant Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    December 26, 2010
    Job ID: 1214645

Description:
    The Trentonian is seeking an Assistant Sports Editor to be a leader in a digital-first newsroom.
    Responsibilities include the following: overseeing our rapidly growing digital sports coverage; leading our coverage of Rider University men's basketball and Rutgers University football; overseeing the department's social media initiatives and running our internship program.
    We have a heavy focus on high school sports but also cover the Trenton Thunder and Devils and Rider, Rutgers and Princeton sports.
    We're part of the Journal Register Company, which is moving as fast and as radically in the direction of "digital first" as any traditional media company. Our CEO blogs about the company's changes at http://jxpaton.wordpress.com.
    Excellent time-management skills are required, as is the ability to adapt sports coverage to fit readers' rapidly changing needs.
    To apply, send a cover letter and resume to sports editor Matthew Osborne at trentonsports@gmail.com.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Paging BYH to the white courtesy phone.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

To the person who gets this job,

can you find a way to get a full crossword puzzle in the sports section.
    also let Fortenbaugh write more columns with nicknames for everyone.

4. Please, no. We don't need another instance of him spewing things that lost their relevance three years ago and are no longer true.

Ben Doody leaves some big shoes to fill.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

[​IMG]

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yeah, Yeah. Here we go with the same crap. Time for some new material. The paper has been making efforts to upgrade itself and its image.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Maybe you should do the same.

And I'm sure I can quote your response by heart. ::)

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I have no response other than the paper has been making efforts to upgrade.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Really? You guys still got full-time photographers? Or has the whole "mobile journalist" bullshit disguised as an opportunity to save on the salaries of a couple F/T photogs not trickled down there yet?

Keep preaching the company line. You work for a bunch of fucking clowns who are just wearing different makeup than their predecessors.

10. Sorry, but I don't work for the Trentonian anymore. I once did, against the advice of you and several others on these boards who had horror stories about the place.

None of them came close to being true. I loved my time at the Trentonian, and without it, I would not have the job I currently do. Everything you said when I took the internship there two years ago turned out to be false, which is why I defend the Trentonian as vigorously as you attack it. I would hate to see someone turn down a good opportunity because he or she listened to attacks that lost their relevance a few years ago.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

There will be a flood of great applicants, no doubt, but losing Ben will hurt for a while. He's as enthusiastic and go-getting as any guy I've worked with. The place he's going is getting a leader.

A word to potential applicants: be tech-savvy.

12. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

Where's Ben going?

Draft saved Draft deleted