1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant Sports Editor, The Detroit News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Ruben_Luna, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruben_Luna

Ruben_Luna New Member

ASSISTANT SPORTS EDITOR

The Detroit News is seeking an assistant sports editor. Experienced editors with excellent news judgment and editing skills and the flexibility to work with an award-winning sports department are encouraged to apply. Our staff covers five major pro teams, two major universities, several mid-major and lower-division universities and more than 200 high schools.

The successful candidate will work in tandem with the news editor in the production of the daily section as well as working with graphics, design and online to increase The News’ role as the region’s source of sports information.

We’re looking for creative, energetic candidates who will bring innovative ideas into our coverage areas as we meld our print product with increased online coverage.

Interested candidates should contact Director of Recruiting and Community Affairs Walter Middlebrook at (313) 222-2429 or wmiddlebrook@detnews.com, or Sports Editor Ruben Luna at (313) 223-4642 or ruben.luna@detnews.com.

The Detroit News, published Monday through Saturday, is in the Denver-based MediaNews Group and is an equal opportunity employer.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Who left and for what?

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

There was a death in the Detroit News family recently. Not sure if this is that position tho.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

published Monday through Saturday? did I read that right?

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Yes, there was a reconfiguation of revenue share when Gannett took over the Freep and MediaNews took the News, and now the Freep has the Sunday paper.

6. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Singleton paper. Take it for what it's worth.

7. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Actually, sad to say, a couple of deaths.

This position would intrigue me (if I had any qualms about moving back to Michigan). This is a grand opportunity for someone out there. Jump at it.

8. nutgraph

nutgraph New Member

glad walter t. middlebrook landed back on his feet after newsday forced him out. good guy, bad paper, though, in detroit.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I thought both papers were gonna publish on Sunday?

10. Frank_Ridgeway

No, the deal was the Free Press got Sundays and allowed the News to publish AM instead of PM during the week.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

News already was publishing AM, really.

Well, the News did add a Saturday edition, I guess, so that's something to hang its hat on.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Just for street sales. Home delivery was PM.

http://www.gannett.com/go/newswatch/2005/august/nw0805-1.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.