1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant Sports Editor -- Santa Cruz (Calif.) Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, May 27, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Sun, sand, surf and one of the best sports departments of its size in the nation -- the Santa Cruz Sentinel has it all, and we’re looking for an assistant sports editor with the same. The ideal candidate has two or more years of experience on a sports desk and can write quickly, clearly and accurately about anything from lacrosse to lawn bowling, soccer to surfing, football to fishing. In addition, he or she must be able to edit for content and grammar, design attractive pages (using InDesign), manage a tribe of clerks and stringers and make deadline to boot – sometimes all in one night.

The Sentinel, a 2010 CNPA General Excellence winner, is a 24,000-circulation daily paper with a four-person sports staff that has consistently placed in the APSE top 10 for writing and design. We cover 13 high schools, two colleges and a myriad of other pro and recreational sports in and around the Monterey Bay and greater San Francisco Bay Area. Weekend and night shifts are required. Web, video and social media skills are a plus. Interpersonal skills and drive are imperative.

To apply, send resume, clips of stories and layout, and references by June 8 to: Sports Department, Santa Cruz Sentinel, 1800 Green Hills Road, Suite 210, Scotts Valley, CA 95066 or email sports@santacruzsentinel.com.

Per: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1257705

What's lawn bowling?

2. Todd M. Adams

Todd M. Adams Member

This is a great sports department for its size. Julie Jag, the sports editor, is on top of stuff and they've got some very good writers as well, including Jim Seimas.

From what I understand, this is a great place to live and I know it's a good paper.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You just cost some kid a lawn bowling scholarship at Oxford.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Anyone know who's moving on, if anyone?

This is a Singleton/BANG paper, so a lot of the Bay Area coverage will come from the San Jose Mercury and the Oakland Tribune as well as AP. But there's plenty in Santa Cruz beyond preps. They're heavy into the local surfing scene and other non-traditional sports. There's also one juco, and you might even get to cover those Fighting Banana Slugs of UC Santa Cruz. No football, but a strong Div. III men's tennis program.

Santa Cruz itself is on the northern side of Monterey Bay, about 50 miles SW of San Francisco and 25 miles or so from San Jose. Weather is fairly mild for the most part. Lots of entertainment options locally too.

Drawbacks? This is an expensive area to live in. And if these things bother you, not only are you about 5 miles away from the epicenter of the earthquake that disrupted the 1989 World Series, politics in Santa Cruz itself are very liberal (but they have done a great job of rebuilding the downtown area post-quake).

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Or at the Cadieux Cafe...

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Glad to see Jim Seimas is still there after all these years.

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Nice little town, although you have to be OK with that hippy/student vibe permeating a lot of the town. Still have a lot of nice restaurants, beach, nature/scenery. Plus you're in the bay area, if you are into that.

Don't know much about the section, but I'd be all over this job if I had interest in becoming an editor just for the area.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

How expensive is housing in Santa Cruz? I know the immediate Bay Area can get rather pricey.

9. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

It's pretty expensive in Santa Cruz, but it's beautiful.

I've freelanced a few times for the Sentinel, and Julie was great to work with. This should be a pretty cool job.

10. BurgersForBreakfast

BurgersForBreakfast New Member

they promoted from within. seimas. now they're looking for a writer to replace him.

11. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Dang, if my situation were a bit different, I'd definitely be going after that reporter spot.

Congrats to the promoted.

12. Todd M. Adams

Todd M. Adams Member

Congrats to Jim. Great guy and a great hire by them.

Draft saved Draft deleted