1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant sports editor, Rockford (Ill.) Register Star

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by PEteacher, Jun 16, 2006.

1. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

http://www.gannett.com/job/jobs/news.htm

Rockford, IL: Assistant sports editor/night operations. At least three years' experience required. Apply to Executive Editor Linda Grist Cunningham.

2. Did they ever fill this? This is pretty old.

3. Actually, Matt Trowbridge was promoted from within to fill this position. But there is a different desk position here because of the February-ish departure of Bill Wolverton, who left the biz. That is still open, to my knowledge.

This could be one of the worst newspapers of its size in America.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

There is no could be, only is.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Hey, at least they have Cheap Trick. :D

6. espnguy

espnguy Member

Do you mean Cheap Trick the band, or the kind of Cheap Trick you get when you hire on to work there? ;D ;D ;D

7. How bad is bad? Any examples?

8. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I pitched a story to them about a minor-league baseball player from Rockford who happens to be playing in my neck of the woods.

I received a snippy reply. I don't recall the exact words, but it was enough to let me know that I'll never apply to this paper. You know what they say about first impressions.

Does anyone know whether they staff Bears games? Cubs games? It's the second largest city in Illinois and is only 90 miles from Chicago. I'd say that they probably should, but what the hell do I know.

9. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

They twice referred to LaBron in NBA roundup headlines. The main headline once read 'the underdog roll' (later corrected to 'role' on the Web). Usually one story per sports section ends mid-sentence. I've also seen 'controversey' and 'cannibis' in headlines on A1 or section fronts.

Rockford is also one of America's worst towns. The weather sucks, crime is very high and the only shopping is chain stores.

The new redesign looks nice, but the problems there run far deeper than the paper's appearance.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Plus they don't give enough coverage to the local baseball team. Any decent investigative reporter should figure out the manager's a drunk.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted