1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant sports editor Knoxville

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Philkaplan, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

The Knoxville (Tenn.) News Sentinel has an immediate opening for an assistant sports editor. The ASE will work with the sports editor to deliver content in print, on the web, mobile devices, and tablet. The job has not been posted, but I wanted to get the ball rolling with intentions to have someone in place by February. You don't need to have 20 years in the business. Just a fresh outlook to how the business is changing and ways to deliver the news. I oversee a talented group of six writers. The News Sentinel won nine APSE awards in 2013 and already has won one for 2014.
    You can send a resume to kaplanp@knoxnews.com. I will do my best to answer any questions here or in an email.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The usual gold seal of approval. And as noted on previous Knoxville job threads, Phil is very stand up and keep folks up to date on the process -- via email and on here.

3. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Per the APSE Twitter feed, Gregg Hampton is leaving this position to become the managing editor of the Index-Journal in Greenwood, South Carolina. As MileHigh said, gold seal of approval, Phil's good people, etc.

4. Tommy Deas

Tommy Deas Member

Good shop, good people. Phil Kaplan is the kind of guy you should want to work with.

5. alexshoemaker

alexshoemaker New Member

Hey,

So you say 20 years experience isn't needed, but what are the minimum qualifications you'll be looking for? A few years? Work at a certain sized paper? Etc… Thanks!

6. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

Since there are six writers on staff, will there also be chances to write? I'm not perfectly familiar with the paper but I have writing, photography and page design experience.

7. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

There are no plans for the person hired to be a writer. And the same for being a designer.
    Experience leading a staff or a role in directing a staff of writers will be helpful.
    And if you plan to apply, the name of the newspaper is News Sentinel. Not News-Sentinel. Need to get that right.

8. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

Job description.

The Assistant Content Editor works with lead editors (Metro/Watchdog, Sports, Breaking News, etc.) to execute content and section plans for print and online platforms. The Asst Content Editor is a multimedia journalist who utilizes a variety of storytelling methods to deliver a comprehensive news report. Responsible for shift supervision, story assignment, selection and editing, evaluating story suggestions and monitoring the progress of assignments.

Key activities

Coordinate text and visual content from a variety of sources, including multimedia journalists, correspondents/freelancers, wire services and user-generated reports.
    Edit and curate content as it is published across a variety of platforms, giving the "first read" on local, wire service and syndicated content to check for libel, fairness and adherence to style. Collaborate with colleagues to ensure on-time flow of content and adherence to deadlines.
    Work with multimedia journalists to produce content for publication in a variety of forms such as stories, Web updates, videos, still photos, text alerts and e-mail newsletters.
    Engage readers through social media, directing staff to respond to reader comments and pursuing other avenues for interacting with audiences.
    Meets performance measurements and metrics as specified by the Editor.
    Maintain positive working relationships with teams in all areas of the newsroom.
    Inspire people and encourages teamwork; being open-minded and flexible to new thinking.
    Adhere to all E. W. Scripps and local company policies, procedures and Code of Ethics.
    Education & Experience/Certifications

Typically requires a BS/BA in news/media discipline or equivalent experience.
    Generally 5+ years experience in news/media field.
    Skills & Abilities

Versed in the fundamentals of news reporting, including issues involving privacy, libel, access and ethics. Exhibits high standards of accuracy and fairness.
    Outstanding editing and writing skills; demonstrates attention to detail in both word editing and coding for electronic publication. Strong working knowledge of Associated Press and local style.
    Able to use digital, video, mapping, social networking and other technology to bolster news reports.
    Self-starter and multi-tasker, capable of demonstrating outstanding news judgment with minimal supervision. Demonstrates skill in time management and setting priorities.
    Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook), web publishing tools and HTML.
    Understanding of how to interact with audiences across platforms and to formulate multi-platform strategies that drive new audience and maximize existing audience.
    Openness and capacity to seek new opportunities and adopt new ways of doing things.
    Ability to demand high quality and productivity from staff members.
    Strong communication and presentation skills.
    Proven leadership and organizational skills; ability to function as a team leader and a team player.
    Work environment

A moderate level of mobility is required in expediting work flow processes and procedures.
    Must be physically able to sit at a work station and maintain productivity for upwards of eight (8) hours on occasion.

9. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I want a time, date, location and circumstance of the first time the new hire says, "Phil?"

10. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Phil, are you still accepting apps for this one?

11. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

Just an update. The job has not been approved for posting and I'm afraid it won't be filled as quickly as I planned. So you will have to excuse me if you have sent a résumé and there has been no response. This could be an April hire. Resumes are still being accepted. Thanks.

12. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

Good news. Job approved.
    http://www.scripps.com/job-details?rid=7305
    I'm hoping to bring in some candidates the last week of February, otherwise the second week of March.
    Either way, looking at an April start the earliest.

Draft saved Draft deleted