1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant editor for golf publications

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by trifectarich, Dec 1, 2006.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The Custom Publishing Division at Turnstile Publishing, which produces Golfweek magazine, has an immediate opening for an assistant editor to take a major role in helping to produce tournament programs for professional golf events, magazines for state or regional golf associations, and other special projects. Work primarily is 9 to 5 on weekdays and located in Orlando, Fla. The right candidate will have some professional journalism experience, possess a thorough knowledge of golf and AP style, and be able to demonstrate a sharp eye for detail. This means knowing how to edit and rewrite, and being able to share your creativity and ideas to work with an art director to create informative and attractive pages. Some writing is involved. This well-organized person will assign stories and projects to staff members and freelance writers and photographers, edit and rewrite as needed (or send them back for the writer to take another try), then combine headlines, subheads and graphic elements to produce a complete editorial package within prescribed deadlines and budgets.

Send a letter of interest and a résumé to Turnstile's director of human resources, Nikki Trotter, at ntrotter@golfweek.com

2. SEWnSO

SEWnSO Member

Any ideas what the pay would be for a gig like this?

3. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Guest

the pay ain't that great, but it's ok, and you get to work days.

the place is boring as hell, though, and there doesn't seem to be a good team atmosphere going on there. lots of politics under the rug, and no one there struck me as really sharp.

it's like that strange golf foursome you came across and wanted to get out of after the fourth hole, but if you absolutely love golf above anything else in your life, you might like this place.

but those people bored the hell out of me. did i mention that?

4. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Wow, nice blanket statements on the actual people there. "No one there struck me as really sharp." Nice.

5. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Gotta disagree with the no one seemed real sharp statement. The place, like any other, certainly has its black sheep, but there are some seasoned journalists and golf people working there. The interesting thing really is all the different things that this place does. The same building puts out regional and trade golf publications, a weekly national golf magazine, an impressive web site with extensive junior and college golf coverage and plenty of other things. This position sounds like you would dabble in all phases, which sounds pretty exciting. And, I bet you get to play quite a bit of golf, too. I'd say not a bad gig.

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

with all that going on, when would you have time to play? People who get into the golf business play barely more golf than people in the football biz play football.

7. boots

boots New Member

Where is this place located?

8. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Very true. It sounds like a golf-friendly job but the 9-to-5 kills that. You're better off designing at a newspaper where you can play in the morning before your 3-to-11 or whatever shift.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Amen.

Your's truly is Exhibit A. I played probably less than 8 rounds of golf this year.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. I'll finish the year with 40-45 rounds, and there are some at the office who will beat that without breaking a sweat. That's the advantage of living where you can play 365 days a year.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I live in SoCal and could play 340 days a year... if those pesky work and family obligations didn't keep getting in the way.

I've tried getting my 12-year-old to play, but it's no soccer or video games, so he's not interested. My 8-year-old daughter has shown some interest. We'll see.

I just can't justify taking 5 hours out of a weekend day to go off and play golf unless I've got family who also wants to play. So, I play various media days, special invites and the like whenever I can squeeze it in.

Draft saved Draft deleted