1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assess the USA soccer situation here

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Almost_Famous, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Wow, that sure was a compelling argument. Nobody in soccer tries to score. Yup. Great argument.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Dude from mlsnet.com has a good take on the US. Nice, honest work that says to spread the blame around.

Me, I've said before that we have come a long way in the last 20 years. Now we (with Mexico; wake me when we win at Azteca) dominate CONCACAF, a weak region, after struggling for years. Time to take the next step.

This performance was unacceptable. Qualification stopped being enough in 1994. Time for fresh blood in the coaching box and on the field.

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_events_news.jsp?ymd=20060623&content_id=63392&vkey=worldcup2006&fext=.jsp

And further, this quote from Eric Wynalda:

""The reality to so many out there is that coaching the U.S. national team is the easiest job on the planet," said U.S. national team alltime scoring leader Eric Wynalda, now an analyst for ABC/ESPN. "You do have a league that provides you with a great team. For him to be so arrogant, to not recognize that fact. ...The one thing his agent said as the reason that he should have the job was because of his success in MLS."

What the HELL?

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Thanks for linking that article. I agree with just about everything in it. And while I'm still among those who think our top players need to get the hell out of MLS to develop, he makes a great point that the two guys whose bonehead mistakes led to the goals against Ghana - Reyna and Bocanegra - are both in the EPL.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

But heck, PC, we got four shots in three games. What more do you want?

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Sorry for the delayed response. I was on a small vacation. (Zizzer, thus is the reason I didn't respond a few posts back. No offense meant.)

Here's the deal... Almost NOBODY beats Mexico in the Azteca. Russia tied them in the 1970 World Cup. I do believe Mexico has one loss in the Azteca, but I cannot recall to whom.

I would definitely like to see the US win there. However it should be pointed out, if the US does win there it means that they are consistently making it beyond just the second round.

Now, there is the issue of MLS. It seems many believe that I think this league is tops in the World. I will set the record straight and say that I do not.

I believe that MLS is about on par with the MFL. I also believe that MLS falls somewhere in between England's Premiership and the next league down. It is NOT some third division league. Anyone stating as such doesn't know dick.

I don't know if the league will ever reach that level. In order to do so, you need vast amounts of money. Currently the league doesn't have that. Even over time, the league may not obtain that much money since the English have been at this for well over 100 years.

Simply put, do you think that a baseball league started in Greece this year could be equal or better than MLB within a 10-year time span? The Japanese have been at it for decades and their league may never be equal.

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Hey, wake me when Mexico beats the U.S. at Crew Stadium.
    :-*

7. Piotr Rasputin

LOL, etc.

Thought it might be interesting to look back on how we treated the U.S.' listless 2006 World Cup, as opposed to this one.

Other than against Italy, yadda yadda.

Apparently, my mind has changed on a couple of things.

Enjoy.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My kingdom for some Fruit Roll-Ups!

9. dooley_womack1

Well, Fozzie was right. Bruce Arena is no longer the coach.

10. dooley_womack1

And wow, Pastor before he started working blue.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Back when we could change names, too.

I miss being able to change to "Hattori Hanzo" or "Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia."

12. dooley_womack1

I miss Win Without a Knife Yakuma

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.