1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assault & underage prostitutes? Just another day in the life of a journalist...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by cowboy2001, Jun 7, 2013.

1. cowboy2001

cowboy2001 Member

FBI investigating former Oklahoman reporter:

http://newsok.com/fbi-investigates-former-oklahoman-reporter/article/3842584

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is the guy who was doing the upskirt shots at Moore's graduation.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/96067/

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The drop-hed on the site is somewhat misleading. I was reading it as the ex-reporter was trying to hire a 16-year-old hooker for himself. Yet, in the story, the prostitute told him in a text that she was 19. That would seem that he was in the clear on statutatory rape charges, although still could be charged with soliciting prostitution.

And the story said he was trying to hire a younger girl for his brother, not for himself. Which could be sex trafficking. Yet, the drophead isn't implying that.

4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Knowledge of age is not an element of statutory rape, nor is it a defense to have lack of knowledge.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Interesting to note on page 2 that the Oklahoman now says he wasn't covering the graduation for the paper. Sounds to me like the paper is covering its ass for having hired and continued to employ the guy.

6. Or ... you know ... he might not have been covering the graduation for the paper and used its as a way to get into graduation and close to the kids.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not necessarily, although this case is 20 years old:

http://www.soc.umn.edu/~samaha/cases/garnett_v_state.htm

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

See what happens when you make reporters take their own photos?

Also, I can imagine the steam coming from the publisher's ears when the FBI called his paper "an obscure local blog."

9. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

so...does this mean there is an opening at the obscure local paper?

10. Rudy Petross

Rudy Petross Member

I know he is innocent because it said he paid $220 for sex; that is about a week's salary for a reporter.

11. AtticusFinch

AtticusFinch Member

That may be becoming a trend. In my jurisdiction, reasonable mistake of age is a defense when the age in question is older than 14.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Luis Polonia is very interested in this new "I thought she was 18" defense.

Draft saved Draft deleted