1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aspiring journalist seeks answers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sportfan11, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Sportfan11

Sportfan11 New Member

I am nineteen years old and recently decided that I want to be a sports journalist. In doing so, I am going to have to change my current major, and had some questions I was hoping could get answered. Do most sport journalist have a degree in just journalism, or do they go to a grad school for sports journalism? What are some of the best schools for journalism/sports journalism? Any advice or stories of how you made it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Let us ask you a question first - why do you want to do this?

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Double major in history and English.

Work at your campus paper, and you'll learn everything you could in J-school.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

1. You don't have to change your major. You don't have to major in journalism. You just need to work on a school paper and get experience. You can minor in journalism if you want and major in something else.

2. You don't go to grad school for sports journalism. You can go to grad school for journalism if you want, but it isn't necessary -- far from it.

3. Missouri, Northwestern, Columbia, etc., etc.

4. Get experience at the local paper or school paper.

5. Floyd

Floyd Member

Experience is far better than the major. Definitely get involved with your school paper. I'd add Syracuse to that list of schools. And while majoring in journalism isn't necessarily a must, it wouldn't hurt to try to get into a few classes if you can. If you are already majoring in something like English or some sort of liberal arts degree, you can probably take journalism classes that will help toward getting your degree.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I will throw in this caveat as well: Make sure you enjoy it enough to deal with the hours. If you have a girlfriend or wife, (assuming you're a dude) those 3-to-midnight shifts can get old for them real quick.

7. Kable

Kable Member

As a recent college grad, get involved early and often with your newspaper, radio, TV station, whatever. Internships and jobs = VERY IMPORTANT. Build that portfolio. Network like a mad man. Don't burn bridges. Everyone up here has pretty much hit the nail on the head with advice.

I would add UNC to the list of schools, even though I went to NC State. Still, work hard once you get there, and you'll reap the benefits when you get out.

8. What he said

9. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

And don't forget that you have to have the passion/love for this to deal with the low pay as well ...

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Just to play off your handle, know that this isn't a job for sports fans, it's a job for professionals. When you're working you need to be the former, not the latter.

11. Sportfan11

Sportfan11 New Member

As for why i want to do this. I have always loved sports since a young age, and have had a passion for them. Daily i watch ESPN/sports shows, and visit numerous internet sights and enjoy everything there is about sports. I also enjoy writing about subjects i am passionate about. So being a sports journalists makes since to me. Thanks for all the advice. I have a few more questions. Would you recomment me to major in something else while working with the school newspaper and taking a few journalism classes, or majoring in journalism? What would the pros and cons be?

12. Lord, where do I begin. It's sites, not sights. Journalists should be singular. Recommend, not recomment. Sense, not since. Also, you don't want to emulate ESPN if you want to be a sports writer. Before you know it, you'll be using "dimes" instead of assists, referring to game-winning hits as "walkoffs," etc.

Good luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted