1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask AP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 9, 2008.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Posting explanatory notes -- figuratively -- to a literalist is getting me literally nowhere.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Because you're going for the big and bloated, which is completely irrelevant to the discussion. It's not easy being the AP. We get it. It's not easy putting out a paper when you're being hamstrung at the last minute by things AP doesn't deliver. Try that one on for size.

3. fishwrapper

Yeah. We get it. I've done it for 19 years. I get it.
    We all have our crosses.

4. moonlight

moonlight Member

My question:
    Why, when the AP takes my story about a kid playing football with a serious disease and puts it on the wire (word-for-word, mind you), does my by-line somehow disappear? When my colleague writes about a man with a funny first name, he gets full credit, so what gives?

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

damn, i only was a little more than two days late.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I don't know how things work now, but I do recall that some stories are sent out with bylines as a special member-exchange feature package, but most are not. Your paper sends the stories to the AP, which gets to do with them what its wishes. All part of being a cooperative.

And, Smasher, next time you hear from a reader with a question, remember your speech about providing a service. I'm not saying AP is above criticism. If something is a systemic problem, have you editor-or-chief or publisher take it up with your bureau chief to see what can be done to improve things.

7. moonlight

moonlight Member

You're right about that.

But why did my byline not appear on my story while my co-worker's did on his? That's what I don't get. Is it arbitrary by the AP to put a byline on it or not?

8. The Commish

The Commish Guest

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what does the world wide leader provide to this cooperative?

10. fishwrapper

Give and take.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

solid.

Draft saved Draft deleted