1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask a damn question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riddick, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

And I'm one of the people who says, "talk about." It gets people going, and then you can narrow your questions down from what they said during the "talk about" moment.

Like Moddy said, the best way to handle an interview is to make it a conversation. If it's a tense interrogation, then you're not going to get what you want or need.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It's case-by-case with me, but I'm largely with SCE.

If it's someone my age, I'll usually call them by first name, except when many of the coach's players are around. It's similar to the code many teachers and principals and such use at school around students.

If they're clearly older, have been around the scene a long time or something like that, I'll address them as "coach" unless I have a really strong rapport and/or have a clear signal that something more informal is acceptable or encouraged.

I understand not leaning on the "talk about" questions too much, but sometimes it's a good interview starter. Sometimes the interview subject will say something that leads to the more specific questions. Again - the familiarity issue - the reporter occasionally becomes familiar enough with the subject's likes and dislikes, strengths and weaknesses and such to be about to ask more specific questions later in the season or years down the road.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I understand that, completely. I think it's just one of those things that becomes an unnecessary habit over time.

You'd never call a baseball manager 'coach'....what do you call him? Skipper?

4. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I call 'em coach, too. I ain't calling somebody Skipper.

5. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

I disagree completely. We have talked about this before...LOL. But seriously, I have seen that phrase lead to some great answers. I don't use it a lot, but it is very disarming to the subject and makes them open up more and comfortable. It's great when you talk to someone who isn't interviewed much. I hate it at press conferences, that's lazy,

When you say "talk about" the subject stops being interviewed and you start engaging in conversation.

Is it a pet peeve of some? Sure. Abused? Absolutely.

Specific questions, get specific answers, and sometimes that's not what you need. That is true especially when you don't know what you need and didn't write the story first (I know some of you do it on deadline). Talk about is general and is great when you are trying to fish for something. Your follow up questions should be detailed however.

6. Sorry but I hate it. I'll let the TV and radio guys ask the "Talk about it" questions and stick to what I do.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

well you selfish prick.

tell me how that made you feel. ;D

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

are we post-padding this morning, Tom?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OK, that's one I hadn't considered, but being in the South now, I can respect that...
    However, explain the reason for doing that if the coach is the same age or younger than the interviewer...

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you were the one who told ...

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"So, home-slice, that game of yours was, like, dope! Lay it on the line, bruh-man, give me the 411."

Is that an acceptable question to ask?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes. Especially in Grosse Pointe, Westchester, and the Gold Coast...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.