1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask A Damn Question (Continued)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Your Huckleberry, May 28, 2007.

1. For once I wish a coach, when asked to "Talk About" something, would just reply "I'm not in a very talkative mood. Why don't you ask me a real question so we can get this overwith?"

Talk about that.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not a bad one, there Huck

At the same time, I've witnessed a very prominient former college hoops coach not like the first question he was asked after a loss and say:

""Let's try this. I'll make a few comments about what I thought about our performance and then maybe somebody will have an intelligent question."

3. Sounds like Bobby Knight on a good day.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Or Digger Phelps on an average one! (I did say former coach)

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The original was an excellent thread until the assholes got involved and fucked it all to hell. I cleaned what I could and then realized so many posts quoted the problem posts *** easier just to lock it up.
    Here, there seems to be just one asshole posting and he hasn't gotten into the severe name calling that many can't avoid. So we'll carry on - for now.
    And yes, "This will not end well" is as tiring as all get out.

6. Moderator1

And if this one degenerates, I'll lock it up, too.

7. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Yep, no name calling is allowed.

8. Moderator1

Uh, I didn't name anyone. And I didn't mean you (not this time anyway!)

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

The group was of like eight reporters, which surprised me. And if the coach made a good comment, I would have used it.
    But I think a lot of us want something original for our own piece of mind. And it is a competition, at least that's how I feel.
    In a time where so many sports jobs are being cut, that one little piece of originality might be something that keeps you on staff.

10. audreyld

audreyld Guest

This could be because I'm young (and I take pictures for a living), but I didn't know there was an issue with addressing a coach as "coach."

Could someone enlighten me?

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

I can't say I necessarity agree with that type of thinking but I certainly understand where you're coming from.
    I think the originality that sets you apart more often comes from your writing, not from the quote you get.

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I think it has to be both. It's part of being a good writer AND a good reporter. I know plenty of people that do one or the other.
    I have an excellent reporter on my staff, gets all the information, but his writing needs a shitload of work.
    It's certainly a tough balance to obtain.

Draft saved Draft deleted