1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ashton Kutcher replaces Charlie Sheen on Two and a Half Men

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, May 13, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Don't doubt Andrew Morton...

As I've said before, only Chuck Lorre can make Charlie Sheen seem sympathetic.

2. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

Have to think Charlie's gonna die in the sack. Heart attack during a three-way, something like that. I don't give this show much of a chance without him, though.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That would be a really dumb move. They could keep the Charlie character involved in the show by having him taking off with two strippers on a round-the-world round-the-world jaunt.
    Kutcher could be a half- or stepbrother.

4. Mizzougrad96

I think they'll get 2-3 seasons out of it. It might be According to Jim quality, but it's in syndication so they won't care.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think everyone has just assumed it will still be set at the Malibu place, but really they could just have Cryer's character move in with some other guy. Maybe he moves to New York and shares an apartment with Kutcher, who plays a sportswriter.

6. Mizzougrad96

That was the rumor right after Kutcher was signed, that he was going to play some sort of relative/step-relative.

7. I give it one season. Many others have tried and failed to keep the magic going without a central character, especially in a sitcom. News Radio after Phil Hartman, Eight Simple Rules after John Ritter. Even Happy Days without Ron Howard. Doughnut shows with a hole in the middle. Even with a great ensemble, it's hard to make it work. The audience is smart enough to realize there's something missing.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Dick Sargent thinks this is a good idea. And Chuck Lorre gets a pass, having survived Roseanne and Brett Butler

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Kutcher is a good TV comic actor. But he's doomed. The whole point of this show was Charlie Sheen playing himself. Then he was fired for getting TOO GOOD at playing himself. Now Kutcher is supposed to be a kindler, gentler reprobate. Who wants to watch a timid reprobate?

10. Mizzougrad96

Survived? He rode both into syndication. He should be thanking God for Roseanne and the fact that people were stupid enough to think Brett Butler is funny. :D

11. Mizzougrad96

You really think they're going to make Kutcher's character timid?

12. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I think somehow the show should somehow go back in time, with Ashton as a young Charlie and Alan looking exactly the same.

Draft saved Draft deleted