1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ashton Kutcher replaces Charlie Sheen on Two and a Half Men

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, May 13, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know that I agree with that. I know that's his act and Lord knows those camera commercials aren't doing him any favors, but I don't think he comes across nearly as douchey as most of the actors in Hollywood. He seemed pretty likable when he was on Stern awhile back.

2. In the words of the poor schlep in Titanic, "Iceberg.....dead ahead."

Lifeboats will be boarding at the top of the hour.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

To me the big problem with that show is not Sheen but that the kid is too old to be cute or funny anymore. I can't recall ever seeing a kid age gracefully through a sitcom -- the worst was Rudy Huxtable going from cute 6-year-old football star to sassy teenager, yuck -- and this is just another example.

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

The only reason the show is continuing is greed. It has to be. There's eight seasons in the bank with syndication and DVD sales right making the show a cash cow for years to come anyway. CBS should just move HIMYM to 9 (8 Central) and let Lorre develop a new show for the 8/7 slot.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Grinning ass.

6. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

If Hugh Grant won't take the $25 million check to phone it in, you know its over

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

As opposed to the more altruistic reasons other TV shows exist?

8. Mizzougrad96

The kid on 2 1/2 Men was never cute nor funny...

The show succeeded (and I've watched from Day 1) for several reasons, none of which had anything to do with humor or quality.

It's almost always been on a night surrounded by other good shows.

So few sitcoms left. I mean, it's probably one of the raciest shows on network TV, but it's masked as a family sitcom, or at least it was early on. How many family sitcoms are left?

Watch Charlie Sheen be Charlie Sheen.

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't blame these guys if they were trying to get an extra season if this was their third season. Three seasons seems to be the magic money-making mark for syndication. That's 66 episodes if they make the usual 22 per season.

But the upcoming season is either No. 9 or 10. They could have just as easily shut it down and Lorre could create another new hit for CBS.

Actually, I'll amend my opinion to greedy and lazy. Easier to try and squeeze a zombie season out of Two and a Half Men than to create another show that can last 3 seasons.

10. Mizzougrad96

There are so many bad/mediocre shows that they drag out as long as they can because they're already in syndication. Yes, Dear, According to Jim etc... Two and a Half Men was the most watched comedy on TV last season. They'd be insane to walk away right now.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

"And den?"

"And DENNN?"

"And DENNNNNN?"

One of the best single bits in the past 20 years of comedy movies.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Charlie gets the Henry Blake/McLean Stevenson treatment:

Draft saved Draft deleted