1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ashley Madison leak: Is this newsworthy?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 21, 2015.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Thank you. That was my question, too. It would depend on whether the leak was of verified or unverified accounts.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

According to a buddy who is way more interested in this than I am - If you parse through the data, you can ferret out the unverified (meaning, the emails were signed up) vs. the verified (meaning, they completed registration) accounts.

Re: the journalism value, I think it's somewhat limited. Once I knew I could look at the names, I couldn't resist taking a scan for the town I cover. A local politician is on there, although, he's not married. A married acquantice was in there too. I do think it would be relevant if you had a Duggar-type making a very public stand about marriage and infidelity, but otherwise, eh.

And thanks to the Internet, you can run your GMail contacts to see if you have any matches: Scan Your Gmail For Ashley Madison Users in 2 Clicks - Hypepotamus - Note: That one seemingly uses the unverified user database.

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Which one?

BDC99 likes this.
  4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

And, for the record, if a government employee is using a government email address to log into AshleyMadison.com, it's absolutely newsworthy.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why?

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Gross misuse of an account that should only be used for official tasks?

FileNotFound, 93Devil and SnarkShark like this.
  7. Dick Whitman

I understand that would be the official line. But at this point, people using their work email for personal reasons is like pulling the tag off the mattress. No one was risking any state secrets here.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

What moron uses their work email for personal purposes? It takes about four seconds to sign up for a gmail account.

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

I've even heard that some morons use their personal email for work purposes.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I think there's a story in the almost-inevitable bankruptcy headed AM's way. Charging $20 a pop for a "full delete" and having that prove worse than useless is civil suit heaven.

11. Dick Whitman

Ha, I'm sure the potential class members will love having the class-action letter delivered to their house.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Along with the latest 90-day supply of Valtrex.

Draft saved Draft deleted