1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ashley Judd alert...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by tonysoprano, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Pringle,

We've had quite a few depression threads here, and believe me, your preemptive strike was justified.

Countdown to the 3 posters who say of depression, "Oh just get over it" in 5... 4.... 3....

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Thanks, Pringle. I'm a "been there, done that still doing that" kind of guy on these issues, too. I also like the fact that she has chosen to talk about her depressive episodes, and not run away from them like so many others do. It's something you have to battle every day -- I don't think it ever, really goes away completely -- and it's definitely something you can't go through alone.

I think somewhere around 19M Americans experience some form of depression (real depression, not sadness or "the blues") in their lives, so this is a real problem, not some "suck it up, let's go" type of situation, as some would like to think (and as Luggie referred to.)

External and/or internal factors can bring it on. Sometimes it's genetic, passed down thru families, sometimes it's a traumatic episode in life (such as the all-too-common post-partum depression that NEVER gets discussed). To each his own, unfortunately, in this case. Therapy can help, drugs can help, self-help can help, but it's a battle ... lifelong for many (including myself).

As for another actor who has been open about his depression in the past, I present you ... the 20th century's all-time box-office leader ... cinema royalty ... Mr. Harrison Ford. (Just google it.)

It's good to keep talking about it, I think. :)

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Not there would be anything wrong with that ...

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

[​IMG]

Tom Cruise would like to tell Ashley Judd she doesn't know the history of psychiatry. He does.

5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I ate at Perini Ranch a couple of months ago when I was in Abilene for a baseball tournament. Had a big ol' ribeye and a glass of wine about 10 o'clock one night. Mmmmm mmmm...that was good eatin'.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

7. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Cla-sic. Please Tom, please weigh in on this! I've been oh so good. Comment on this. It will get people to buy the "Mission Impossible III" DVD.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's not really surprising.
    The woman's mother and sister are both a little whacko. Not a huge stretch to think she has some issues, too.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

When I saw this in the paper this morning, I had one thought: "Now there's a hospital staff that knows how to maximize its patient fee intake."

Something just smacks of bad ethics here.

Draft saved Draft deleted