1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE Tampa Tribune/Buccaneers coverage (and more)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Claws for Concern, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Posted on journalismjobs.com (today, Aug. 2)

Company: The Tampa Tribune 
    Position: Assistant Sports Editor / Bucs coverage 
    Job Status:  Full-time 
    Salary:  Negotiable 
    Ad Expires:   September 6, 2006
    Job ID: 666394

Description:
    The Tampa Tribune is looking for a person to shape the coverage of the most important sports beat at The Tampa Tribune — the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Besides being the assistant sports editor over our Bucs coverage, you will oversee our coverage of the National Football League, NFL playoffs and Super Bowl, professional golf and parimutuels. You’ll work closely with our multimedia partners, TBO.com and WFLA-TV to share stories and resources. You will supervise a staff of 4 sports writers.
    Technical Skills: Typing and spelling skills a must.

Job Skills: Strong copy editor. Organized and able to multi-task. Able to work under pressure on deadline. Good knowledge of pro football, golf and parimutuels.

Education Requirements: College degree.

Minimum Experience: 8 years working for a newspaper, 2 in management.

Schedule: Daily, including nights and weekends during NFL season.

Please send resume, cover letter, references and salary requirements to The Tampa Tribune, Attn: Nick Pugliese, Senior Editor for Multimedia Sports, 200 S. Parker St., Tampa, 33606. dpugliese@tampatrib.com

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Pro football, golf and parimutuels...the staples of a good fall weekend in Florida.

3. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Two questions --
    1) If you're looking for a candidate who has been in the biz for 8 years, 2 in management, do you have to state typing and spelling skills a must???
    2) Didn't Beverly Dominick used to post all the openings at the Trib? Do they no longer have a recruitment coordinator?

4. playthrough

Posted on journalismjobs.com (today, Aug. 2)

Technical Skills: Typing and spelling skills a must.

They also want you to be able to work under deadline and work weekends during NFL season. Tell them in your salary requirements that an extra 25K annually is needed for meeting all these strenuous criteria.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Supervising four writers? This job looks pretty sweet.

I could do that with two layout editors tied behind my back.

6. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

there sure do cut it close when it comes to filling positions though. announcing a new preps coordinator opening on the eve of preps season, and then doing the same on pro football.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

I guess if you didn't get a college degree, you can't possibly possess sufficient knowledge on football, golf and horse racing.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Don't know about you, but I spent my college years golfing and gambling.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

I spent mine working in sports departments, and that's why I never graduated.

I just think the degree requirement is silly.

10. playthrough

Totally agree. One of my non-journalism buddies took a job a coupla years ago (much better paying than most of us news hacks, incidentally), and he's finally getting his degree through general studies classes taken a couple times a week for six weeks. No big deal. And the company's footing the bill.

If they find that really good candidate with 8 yrs in newspapers/2 in management and get hung up over lack of a degree, they're idiots.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the rub is, they should have no shortage of candidates with 8yrs in newpapers/2 in management with a degree for a job like this.

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Who left to open up this job?

Draft saved Draft deleted