1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE, Salt Lake Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Idaho, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Surprisingly, no. My source told me the leading candidate had no connection.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Is it the guy from the South as you posted earlier on this page or is it an in-house candidate?

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Good catch. I was told there are two 'leading' candidates. The dude from the south being 1a and an in-house guy being 1b depending on 1a's interview and/or interest in moving to Salt Lake City with his family.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Could this be a guy from the Atlanta Journal? If it is, he is a former Woodland Hills sweatshop worker.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Didn't he just go to Atlanta not too long ago? Or perhaps I'm thinking of someone else?

6. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

It appears Jon Clifford made a good move as Lean Dean strikes again:

20 layoffs, including the publisher, at the L.A. Daily News. Still no sports editor there, and probably one not coming anytime soon.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-dailynews31oct31,1,6498524.story?coll=la-headlines-business

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

My source says three people from sports were among the cuts.

8. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Three sports guys were cut from LADN. One copy editor, one sportswriter and one ASE. Maybe Clifford and Anastasi can give the ASE a call and give him a job in Utah

9. floridasun

floridasun Member

Where is Clifford now?

10. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/798240/

11. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Sources say no one really unhappy with who was let go, that while it's tougher now, they weren't doing their jobs/weren't very good/didn't get along with others.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Are you guys kidding? Clifford escaped Singleton?
    No, he didn't. Singleton owns the Salt Lake Trib, too. How long before layoffs are announced there? Tick. Tick. Tick...

Draft saved Draft deleted