1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE Pensacola (Fla.) News Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by GeorgeMoore, Oct 19, 2006.

1. GeorgeMoore

GeorgeMoore Member

So after two interviews didn't land us a candidate, they closed the position. Well, it's back open and we need to fill it ASAP. I know this is a tough time of year to find someone for a move, but a guy can hope.

Things are shaking out nicely in the department. Once at full staff, we'll have an SE, an ASE, two copy editor/designers (one who spends part of his time as the outdoors guy), two writers who will spend one night a week on the desk and two writers who will, well, write. We also have two part-time clerks who handle the agate page and the majority of calls.

Here are the requirements and basic job description:

At least five years at a daily.
    Management experience a plus but not necessary.
    Writing experience a plus as well.
    Team player.

The ASE will run the desk each night, but there also will be opportunity to write if desired. The ASE also will be involved in planning, working with me to develop enterprise pieces, filling the daily budget with stories other than the usual features, game coverage and wire copy.

If interested, e-mail georgewmooreiii@pensacolanewsjournal.com

2. BudMan

BudMan Member

Don't go there.

3. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

any ideas on the pay with this one.

4. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

$34,000 tops, I'm told.

5. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

This place has been a revolving door the last 2-3 years. It's Gannett, which means other papers handle the college coverage even though it's a 65k daily. And if the salary figure being tossed out there is true, then whoever gets the gig isn't going to be putting much money in the bank, as the cost of living in the Panhandle has skyrocketed over the last five years. You won't be in the poor house, but you won't have a ton of money left over, either. That said, George is good people, and you get all the white sand beach you can handle.

6. GeorgeMoore

GeorgeMoore Member

It's amazing that this is a journalism Web site, but the reporting isn't very good. Hed bust, you need to check your sources. If anyone wants to know salary information, they might want to ask me, not someone who thinks he/she knows.

By the way, we now have a weekly, 28-page college football section called the FloraBama. We feature Alabama, Auburn, Florida and Florida State. Bill Vilona writes almost all the copy (we run a feature once in a while), and I design/edit it each week.

7. BudMan

BudMan Member

Yeah, Hed Bust, get it right. It's $34,500 tops.

8. GeorgeMoore

GeorgeMoore Member

BudMan, if you apply, $34,500 is all you'll get. Anyone else, I'll kick in a few more bucks.

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

great post, GW. Love it when the higher-ups get on here and mix it up.

10. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Hypothetical salary smack.

Awesome.

11. GeorgeMoore

GeorgeMoore Member

We also have a writer position open, but we can't fill it yet. It's backup preps/colleges/pro -- basically GA, with one desk shift a week. Off nights will be Sunday-Monday, so all you NFL fans should apply. If interested, send me an e-mail. I'm hoping to fill after the first of the year.

And BudMan, if you're wondering about salary, think one-to-three years of experience. Or about what you'll make this year. ;D Just jokes, man. I loved you as the lizard in those frog commercials.

georgewmooreiii@pensacolanewsjournal.com

12. Pensacola is a great place to live, great beach. The "skyrocketing" of C.O.L. someone mentioned is some real 'insider' information considering that pretty much any coastal city has become more expensive thanks to the real estate boom. Considering it is Florida, it is much cheaper than some alternatives. It's also 1 1/2 hours from Biloxi, 3 from New Orleans.

Draft saved Draft deleted