1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE: Little Rock, Ark.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Idaho, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

From a guy who knows a guy:

The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, based in Little Rock, is seeking an assistant sports editor who possesses excellent design, editing and communication skills and who can work closely with deputy sports editor to put out a product that aims for national respect but caters to a statewide readership that is Hog wild about its sports.
    Pagination skills are a plus, but even more important, the editor must have the experience to visualize a section from front to back and possess the patience and savvy to move elements around at a moment’s notice when news breaks.
    The assistant sports editor will also be expected to work closely with graphics and photo, as well as the sports editor in the Northwest Edition in Fayetteville, especially when deputy sports editor is off. Candidate must be willing to learn and completely understand how to get appropriate art and graphics done for centerpiece packages.
    The candidate must be willing to work within a system, but also be willing to suggest changes and introduce innovation on a regular basis.
    Knowledge of college sports, especially the SEC, is helpful. Candidate should also be well-versed and willing to wade into intense prep coverage as well as minor league baseball, Outdoors, golf, motor sports and horse racing at Oaklawn Park.
    The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette has a daily circulation of 177,879 with a Sunday circulation of 283,376.
    Interested candidates should contact Deputy Sports Editor Jeff Krupsaw (1-501-399-3637) or e-mail him at jkrupsaw@arkansasonline.com for more details.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

Paper has good reach, but it sounds like another gig that equates ASE with lead designer.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Lord knows they need one. The paper looks much the same as it did in 1979 when the original Democrat went AM. (Although the sports design isn't as bad.)

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

The design is old rather than elegant, but an ASE needs to be able to monitor others' work rather than updating Page 1 when Kobe scores 81.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Oh no, that's the NBA and that doesn't get in the Democrat. The key line in the job ad was "Hog wild" as in all Razorbacks, all the time.
    You can look a week's worth of covers online if you want. A Razorbacks story was the lead in five of the seven sections.

6. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

I don't know much about the specifics of the job but I will say this:
    Jeff Krupsaw was as good to me as anyone in the business. He was a mentor, an encourager and when I needed it, a caring critic who would correct me without tearing down but instead worked to build me up. (That's a lot more than can be said of the SE who directly followed him at the Columbia Daily Tribune).
    He was honest with me and always willing to go the extra mile for me. And he's one helluva a funny guy with a wonderful wife.
    And no, I'm not Krup. If Krup caught me writing this he'd probably throw me underneath a very fast racehorse down the stretch.

7. boots

boots New Member

I've met Krup through mutual friends. He seemed like a nice guy.

8. lurking

lurking New Member

Krup is absolutely the smartest journalist I've ever known. And what has already been said here about his character is absolutely correct. If you work under him, he's in your corner and I think that's worth an awful lot.

9. did Krup leave?

10. lurking

lurking New Member

Nope. He is the contact person for the open spot.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

One little problem: Word on the SportsJournalists.com street is Krup frowns on posting on good ol' SportsJournalists.com.

So how do you tell him how you found out about the opening if you read it here?

ADD: I've met Krup before and he seemed nice enough to me. But Wally Hall is a total prick.

SECOND ADD: Problem solved. Opening is now posted on journalismjobs.com.

12. sorry I didn't fully read the thing. Who is leaving then, Suchan?

Draft saved Draft deleted