1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE, La Crosse Wis

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by thegrifter, Aug 2, 2006.

1. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Company: The La Crosse Tribune
    Position: Assistant sports editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: September 5, 2006
    Job ID: 665858

Description:
    Want to be a part of a fun, energetic and award-winning sports staff? Want to champion special sections and special pages in an area where prep and college sports are treated like the pros? Where outdoors and recreational activities abound.
    The La Crosse Tribune, a 32,000 daily and 41,000 Sunday circulation paper nestled between the Mississippi River bluffs in southwestern Wisconsin, is searching for an assistant sports editor. This position will oversee a sports copy desk of four, as well as work with our sister publications, which includes the Winona Daily News, on design and planning.

The position includes some slot responsibilities, some rim duties as well as leading the sports team in special sections. Flexibility and willingness to explore new ideas is essential.

If this sounds like it’s a good fit for you, please apply on-line at www.rivervalleynewspapers.com and/or send a resume and design examples to Tammy Brown, Human Resources Director, La Crosse Tribune, 401 N. Third St., La Crosse, WI, 54601, Tammy.brown@lacrossetribune.com

Is it me, or are there a lot of openings in Wisconsin lately?

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Don't know if Jeff Brown is still in charge, but he's good people and that's a good paper.

And La Crosse is a helluva lot of fun. I think it has more bars per capita than any other city in the nation or something.

3. JB20

JB20 Member

Jeff Brown is still there. And you're right, La Crosse is a great place. Great bars in a great downtown. The area is nice, too, right in the bluffs along the Mississippi River. And it's a couple hours from Madison, Milwaukee and the Twin Cities.

4. Pica Poll

Pica Poll Guest

Let me plug this job. You won't find a better person in this business than Jeff Brown. Western Wisconsin is a great area. Terrific opportunity for a younger journalist who wants to hone their design skills.

Give it a whirl.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Let me put it this way. When I attended the University of Wisconsin, we used to take several road trips to LaCrosse each year to party.

That we'd leave Madison to go someplace else's bars says something about those bars.

A centerpiece of activity (we always started the night there) is John's:

http://www.johnsbarlacrosse.com/

although there's something vaguely disappointing that they'd have a website. :)

I guess that's the way it should be in a college town.

Also a beautiful spot. If I were a young guy looking to move up in the biz, I'd look very hard at this one.

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

i've heard nothing but good things about this town. The job is worth having for the bars alone.

7. I love how so much of our career decisions in this business are based on how good the spots are to get our drink on. Long live the drunken sports writer!

8. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

it's all we got

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

When you get off work at midnight, you can either hang out with Bubbler at Wal-Mart or go to the bars. Not too many other options...

10. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

Any word on this one? I know it's forever old

11. JB20

JB20 Member

Promoted from within. Shari Rampenthal got the job.

Draft saved Draft deleted