1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE, Hilton Head Island, S.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Miles O'Toole, Jun 8, 2006.

1. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

The Island Packet's coverage area consists of four schools (two public and two private). They also staff the local PGA stop and a women's tennis stop in Charleston (used to be held in Hilton Head). They don't cover any colleges or pro beats. The sports editor, Jeff Kidd, is a great guy, and the paper is first class. It is expensive to live on the Island or anywhere near it, but like anything, there are deals to be had. You just have to find them. This is a paper that emphasizes quality over quanitity. I also know that the coaches you deal with there (I deal with them on a statewide basis) are excellent. Trust me, you could do worse. As the ASE at this paper, you won't get to write much -- if at all. But, this is a paper that thinks big. To give you an example, despite having just a circulation of 23K, the Island Packet has an SE (who writes occassionally and manages the staff, plus designs one day per week, I believe), an ASE (who will design and also work with the SE and staff on developing ideas), a full-time designer and two writers (who during the school year cover four high schools). They have the resources available to produce a quality newspaper. Other papers of comparable size in the state have four or three staffers. The Island Packet has five.

2. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

What, they don't cover the Savannah Sand Gnats?

3. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Not to my knowledge. They do have an American Legion baseball team they cover.

4. Kool_Aid

Kool_Aid Member

I second what pretty much everyone else has already said: this is a good job at a great paper. The fact that it's the daily for paradise only sweetens the deal.
    PM me for more info.

Draft saved Draft deleted