1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE, Garden City (Kan.) Telegram

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by clancy brother, Aug 1, 2007.

1. :)

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

It's out in the boonies, but it's a good paper to work for. You won't find many better MEs than Brett Riggs, and the publisher is a good person too. I know SE Tony Adame a bit and it seems like he's a pretty good guy.

Again, good paper to work for. Just be prepared for living in the middle of nowhere (Wichita is 3 1/2 hours, Amarillo 4, KC and Denver 6) and some smelly evenings thanks to feed lots.

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Don't expect to be there more than a month or two. Doesn't seem like anyone else with sports jobs here are given how often the place has openings.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Trust me. You won't want to be there more than a month or two.

5. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Creole pretty much summed it up...though I think he's driving like an old lady if Denver was a six-hour trip from GC.

The city itself is great, but the region is a long, boring trip of 30-40 miles between towns. Good preps out there; a couple of football, basketball, cross country and volleyball teams have been state contenders or champions in the last few years.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

OK, five hours. Happy ER?

Yeah, the town isn't bad. Some great Mexican food there, and most of the coaches are easy to work with.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Do you say that because of the location or newspaper?

8. Garden City does have a great golf course (Buffalo Dunes).

But it is in the middle of nowhere. Still, that has some charms to it.

9. HandsomeHarley

Anyone who might be interested in this position, PM me. I have some close ties to the area.

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I can vouch for the newspaper, the publisher, and the chain.

This would be a good opportunity for anyone.

11. body by mangino

body by mangino New Member

Ignore Handsome Harley. Sounds like a personal conflict.
    SE Tony Adame is as cooperative and talented a guy as you'll find in the market, and the preps and college both turn up good stories consistently. Readership is supportive.

12. HandsomeHarley

Is this the same Tony Adame that had his sister write in a letter to the editor singing his praises?

You're full of shit. You can believe a "new" poster or you can believe a guy who has been on here for years and has never had a reason to lie.

Like I said, PM me before you apply for this job.

Draft saved Draft deleted