1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE, Brunswick, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sgaleadfoot, Jul 26, 2006.

1. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

The Brunswick News, an afternoon daily on the Georgia coast, has an opening for an assistant sports editor.

If you want an opportunity to expand your horizons, including developing new media skills in a sports podcast, this could be your dream job. The assistant sports editor reports on games and develops enterprise stories, ranging from high school sports to the nearby Jacksonville Jaguars of the NFL, and writes a weekly column. The position works with the sports editor to plan and design the daily sports section.

Candidates should have at least two years of professional experience as a reporter, experience editing copy and designing newspaper pages and demonstrate potential as a supervisor. The position is ideal for anyone who can do great work now and who wants to jump start a career path to a large metro.

If you would like to be considered for this position, please send a resume and up to 10 clips or tearsheets of your best work to: Mr. Kerry Klumpe, Managing Editor, The Brunswick News, Box 1557, 3011 Altama Ave., Brunswick, Ga. 31521 or by e-mail to resumes@thebrunswicknews.com.

To give you a little of an idea about us …

This is who we are: The Brunswick News gives staff members a metro newspaper-style experience in a small newspaper setting. Located on Georgia's Atlantic Coast, The News is a family-owned, six-day, afternoon newspaper with a circulation of about 17,000. Our staff is a blend of journalists with varying experience levels and backgrounds. To view our current front page, go to www.thebrunswicknews.com/images/bwknews.pdf

What we offer: The News offers a competitive salary, health insurance, paid vacation, 401(k) plan and a commitment to a work schedule that lets you enjoy life at the beach.

Where we are: Brunswick and the barrier islands of St. Simons, Jekyll and Sea islands are midway between Jacksonville, Fla., and Savannah, Ga. The Brunswick area is a year- round resort community and includes a diverse economy with a major seaport, small manufacturing and service industries. It is home to the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, where federal agents other than those of the FBI are trained, and also to The Cloister and The Lodge, internationally recognized resorts, and their related Sea Island golf courses. The population of the county is about 72,000 and the metro area is about 110,000.

Some considerations: While we will be glad to receive resumes from journalists throughout the United States, we prefer to recruit from among those currently living in the Southeast to make it easier for final candidates to visit us for in-person interviews and tryouts. We appreciate the time you will take to prepare your resume and will respond with an e-mail message that we have received it.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Second-best Brunswick Stew in the South!

3. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

What gives? Is Kevin moving on?
    And no one can touch the fine fried porkchop sandwiches at Willie's Wee Nee Wagon. Guaranteed to bring an early death through clogging of every major artery, but you will go with a smile on your face thinking about Willie's.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I don't know this for sure, but Bud Ellis took a position with the covington news as their editor. I would imagine that the ASE was bumped to SE and their filling the ASE hole. wait, that should be position, not hole. :)

5. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Good for Bud, and Kevin. Two really good guys.

6. Floyd

Floyd Member

Bud is the best! Anyone know how I can get in touch with him at the new job? I only had his Brunswick email address. If so, PM me. I'd love to send him a congrats.

7. shortstop

shortstop New Member

Great for Bud! He's a super guy. That whole staff was good guys, really. Kevin wouldn't be bad to work for. Brunswick is a good location, too. Not sure how the pay is (a sportswriter's pay is never great), but this looks like a good job to have.

Draft saved Draft deleted