1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As usual, I'm late to the party

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tripp McNeely, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Does it come with beer?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You can come watch it with me - I'll include the beer.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Yeah, you ain't kidding. Lost is a show that just keeps getting bigger.

And count me as one of those who ordered up The Wire on Netflix thanks to the SJ circle jerk and will be eternally grateful.

4. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

I'm in the same boat. NO ONE in my department watches "The Wire." I have no one to discuss the show with, except for on SportsJournalists.com and, even when I finally catch up, the series will be over as there's only a few more episodes left.

5. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

The board turned me onto The Wire, and I'm eternally appreciative. Funny that DD says it's like a novel, because I tried to get through Season 1 a couple of years ago -- I watched the first 5-6 episodes from Netflix, wasn't that into it, and never watched the rest. Kind of like a book you pick up, don't get into, and never finish.

A month ago, I "picked the book back up," started over at the beginning and am now totally addicted. I've got two more episodes to go on Season 1, and am praying the DVD gets here in today's mail. I was thinking that maybe once the current season ends, we can talk some people into firing up a Wire viewing club that starts back at Season One and goes through all the episodes.

Living in Baltimore makes watching this show both better and worse. Worse, because sometimes the site of a familiar storefront or cafe snaps me out of the imagined world of The Wire. I'm think "Hey, McNulty's kid is playing soccer on the field at my daughter's pre-school," and the show's spell is broken for a moment. On the other hand, I know who so many of the characters are based on in real-life, and that knowledge not only enhances my understanding of the character on the show, but the show's depiction of these individuals lends me insight to the real-life people they're based upon. I've heard great things about the character based on the real-life Baltimore City Council member who went on to become Mayor and, now, Governor of Maryland, and I can't wait to see that in Season 2.

Final bonus note about living in Baltimore: my wife saw Kima Greggs in the produce section of the Mt. Washington Whole Foods on Thursday afternoon. Said she might have been one of the most attractive humans she's ever seen in person.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Just finished Season Two w/Netflix.

Awaiting 3/2. Should be in mailbox, today.

7. patchs

patchs Active Member

I started watching this season and I'm hooked.
    My b-day is June and I will be asking for seasons 1-4, so I'm going to know the ending before watching the start.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

This will come to the shock of absolutely no one, but I haven't seen a second of The Wire.

9. Moderator1

The Queen and I did the first four episodes last night. We'll try to do 3-4 more today. We were going to stop at 3 last night but she insisted on a fourth.
    We're still a little confused but we like it and can see where it could earn all these raves.

10. Moderator1

We just did episodes 5-7. It is growing on us. Dead guy laid out on the car was a little hard to stomach.

I'm still deciding which characters I like and which I don't like.

11. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Just wait for Season 4. Best season of any show ever, IMO.

12. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

The show is great like that. If someone were to describe Omar to me before seeing the show I never would have expected he'd be one of my favorite characters, and arguably the most popular character, at least from my own conversations and what I've read.

Draft saved Draft deleted