1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As Mustain Turns

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Dec 13, 2006.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The sopa opera known as Arkansas Football continues...

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Sports/175675/

Parents of three Arkansas freshman, the now-fabled Springdale Five who are playing for the Razorbacks, had a meeting with Arkansas AD Frank Broyles to complain about the offense and Houston Nutt.
    Two of the freshman made the All-SEC freshman team, the other started and won seven games this past season at quarterback
    One parent said he expected his freshman son to have at least 60 catches this season.
    So despite winning 10 games, going to a Jan. 1 bowl, having a Heisman Trophy finalist and players earning other indvidual honors, that still isn't good enough.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Wow. And I thought the prep parents stopped whining when their sons and daughters went to college.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Helicopter parents!

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Broyles should hand them a tall, frosty glass of STFU and throw them out of his office, pronto.

Once the kids graduate from high school, parents lose any whining power about their son's lack of playing time/horrendous coach. If the kids wanna start a rebellion, let 'em do it and have them suffer the consequences.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Here's an idea:

Dear parents:
    Your sons can play in the offense Coach Nutt decides to use and you and they can STFU or ... we can decide not to renew their scholarships.
    Thank you.

7. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Not to be contrarian, but Nutt deserves some blame for this for selling his soul and hiring Malzahn just to get Mustain to commit there. You get what you pay for.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

These kids' parents should be ashamed. What did they think? that Malzahn was being brought in to coordinate the offense? Hell, everyone knew it was to get Mustain and the others. Now I think Gus has influenced a lot of their stuff and actually done a good job with the offense (as the article says, combining his with some of Nutt's and that NFL guy's), but to think he was just going to be given carte blanch to run the same thing he did at Springdale? What idiots!

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

This stuff with parents becoming babysitters for their kids at college is getting ridiculous. Boston Globe had a story awhile back about parents basically following their kids around campus and going to classes with them.

The Pansy Generation. Has a nice ring to it.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If you look at the story, Broyles told them not to come to him, but speak with Nutt instead.
    Then the parents went ahead and showed up anyway. Broyles let them in as a courtesy. Or so the story relates.
    I just think it is comical that a parent will think that his kid will get 60 receptions in a season playing tight end. Sidney Rice is the best receiver in the conference and I think he had 63 or 64 this year.
    You only have so many plays in a game and you have the best running back in the country and another 1,000 yard rusher. Both of them are going to get some carries, would the parent rather have had the team go 6-6, but his kid get catches?
    And the answer is, yes.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

All the parents care about is the kid cashing in his meal ticket.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I talked to a kid for about 20 minutes earlier this week for an interview which kind of renewed my faith in some of these athletes and parents. They're not all spoiled brats. This quote, and yeah maybe it's cliche but he was very sincere, made me smile. The question was simple: Are you a guy who keeps very specific goals?:

"I don’t want to stop at the (major conference) championship this year. I want to make it to (national championship), and then win it. Individual. It’s not about individual. I really could care less about the individual stuff. All that stuff’s good, but this is a team game. My mom, coming up: ‘It’s not about you. There’s 9 other, 10 other, 13 other guys out there playing. Why don’t you win for them. Don’t always think about yourself.’ My mom’s a pretty strong woman. She says jump, I ask how high? That’s one of the people in my life I listen to."

Draft saved Draft deleted