1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As long as we're throwing out phrases to be banned...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 18, 2007.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Like "penultimate" and "xxxx Nation," I nominate "Groundhog Day."

I can't believe that such a B-rate movie has taken on such a long life as the ultimate description for something that happens over and over.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Same goes for ``Catch-22.'' Half the time, it's used wrong anyway.

3. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

"Catch-22" and "irony/ironic" definitely need specific qualifiers to be valid.

Both terms are used incorrectly more often than used correctly.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Have never used, will never use:

Untracked.

Chipped in.

Groundhog Day

M*A*S*H Unit

Etc.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Even as a staunch anti-banner, I think I can agree that "Groundhog Day" has run its course.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Forgot to add: I'm suddenly embarrassed for the last 13 times I used "Groundhog Day."

The three or four before that, I'm OK with.

7. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Untracked always seems wrong.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Every time I read a story containing the phrase "Groundhog Day," it feels like, well, Groundhog Day.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

"Claude Badley got untracked and scored 28 points to lead Putztown over Bumfucked, 78-56, on Friday."

If something gets untracked, a train for instance, there will be a crash. That's not good.

If the team's leading scorer finishes with three points instead of his average of 24 a game, then something derailed him and caused him to become untracked.

Claude Badley was on track Friday night, scoring 38 points yada, yada, yada.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

"all smiles" especially in photo captions where the subject is, um, smiling. What's wrong with happy?

"off the schnide"

"senior leadership"

11. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

never heard of off the schneid, but sites on my google search make it seem over used.

Good call with "senior leadership." I called a coach the other day for a feature and on an underclassman and the coach kept pushing me to do a story about the team's senior leadership. I told her that I'm a stringer and only do stories that I'm assigned to. As I talk to her about the subject of the feature the coach says that the underclassman is only as good as she is because of the senior leadership on team. That made me chuckle. She kept pushing for me to do a separate article on the seniors after our interview. I told her to contact an editor and pitch the story to them. I told my editor she might contact him and he laughed at the idea.

12. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

"stepped up" -- what would high school girls' quotes be without it?

Draft saved Draft deleted