1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As if getting beaten wasn't enough, you're fired!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Matt1735, Jun 13, 2013.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

So telling the way folks so badly want to go after the Catholic Church over this.

Of course, had this been a Muslim school, they would solve the problem simply and quickly ... by having the teacher stoned.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Let's turn this around for a moment and pretend the woman is looking for a job instead of already employed.

This school interviews her for a job opening.

She has solid credentials as a teacher, her interview goes well, and at the end of the interview she is asked, "Is there anything else about yourself you would like to tell us?"

She tells them the truth: "I have a violent ex-husband whom I've had to have restraining orders against. He even showed up once at my former school. He is currently incarcerated but is scheduled to be released in June."

Do you hire this woman --- or simply say, "Eh . . . not worth it. We can hire someone else and not have the baggage this one may bring."

I suspect many more people would be fine with a school simply deciding not to hire her, although the outcome is the same either way --- she's looking for a job.

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Thiks is a pretty ham fisted attemp at what I am not sure.

Is it wrong to expect leadership from the Catholic church?

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

When I posted this, I was solidly in her corner... didn't see the other side... I see it, but the Church has to do something to help her out and yes, I think witness protection is a great option for abuse victims... She shouldn't have to live in total fear, and the Church should be better than this. Of course, that's one reason I'm anti-establishment all churches... they've completely lost their way.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Worth repeating.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Witness protection is not a "great option."

She has to give up her career, her job, her home, her whole life, because this bent-dick fucker won't leave her alone?

The kids have to give up all of that too, including all contact with their friends and family -- forever? All because of Bent-Dick Fucker.

What we need are much stronger -- in fact push it all the way to "fearsome" -- penalties for pulling this kind of shit. I mean just don't even fucking THINK of doing it.

Of course the truly screw-loose irrational won't care what kind of penalties you put on them, but for those with even one foothold in reality the message should be utterly chilling: Don't. Do. It.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Since we're using hypotheticals, what if Marissa Mayer's husband starts beating her? Should Yahoo fire her, because her presence could put employees'* safety at risk?

* Especially when some of those employees might not have been at the office if she hadn't ordered them to come in or be fired.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Holy shit, Baron, you're in rare form today.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Says the guy who doesn't see a problem with businesses firing people for having the nerve of being domestic violence victims.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

What are "alter boys?" Were all the scandals their fault?

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I love twats who wanna' correct spelling because they have no other argument of their own. And no, most of altar boys teased those poor perverted priests, walking around in thong underwear covered in baby oil.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So the church has a duty of care to its students, but it has no duty of care to the woman? Is that about it? Just fire her and leave her to her own devices?

Again, if the school doesn't trust its own security, why should anyone trust the school to protect its students? Should schools also fire any teachers who have 20-year-old sons with mental issues?

Draft saved Draft deleted