1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

as a tribute to Challenger, Columbia and Apollo 1...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

and in an attempt to make the lunatic teabaggers ("I don't want no goddamn tax money spent on anything") love him, Obama is cancelling the Constellation space program, and thus, the U.S. manned space program.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/space/os-no-moon-for-nasa-20100126,0,2770904.story

Like most of Obama's other attempts to grovel and crawl before the screeching-monkey crowd, I am sure this will be dramatically effective in winning their respect and support.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Not sure it was an attempt to appease Tea Party folks. Lot of left-wingers would just as soon money used for space exploration go to social programs. (and can we dispense with the vulgar, unwarranted references to a sexual act in relation to people who simply exercise their constitutional right to protest and to question their elected officials. I'm sure that a similar bit of innuendo directed at left-wingers would be met with howls of protest for its political incorrectness).

3. Starman

OK, how about Obama's apparent retarded compulsion to suck the collective groins of a political subculture which will never, ever, ever, ever support him no matter what he does?

That politically incorrect enough for you?

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Don't blame me for your buyer's remorse on Obama.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Either we get out to the moon, the asteroids and the other planets and start using what we find there or in 200 years we revert to a 17th-century level of technology. (EDIT: Possibly sooner.)

http://slashdot.org/~tomhudson/journal/206171

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I agree. This is nothing more than an attempt at appeasing certain segments that refuse to spend money. The timing on it is terrible as IMAC will be going on next week. This will be the hot topic floating around the conference.

Hondo, they refer to themselves as teabaggers. Otherwise the title would have never come about.

I get that they now regret doing so (well most of them), but that doesn't mean that it wasn't them that started it.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Earth is the cradle of life, but we can't stay in the cradle forever. I hope the pioneer spirit didn't die out after white people reached California.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Unfortunate that this was announced on the 24th anniversary of the Challenger explosion (1/28/86).

9. Starman

And one day after the 43rd anniversary of Apollo 1.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

We don't need to go back to the moon. We've been. It was fun.

And as one of my favourite comedians over here points out, trying to get to Mars by building a stopping-off point on the moon is like trying to get to New Zealand by building a stopping-off point in your back yard.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure they referred to their cause as Tea Parties. The Tea-bagging thing was started by liberals who wished they would shut up.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

While it may not have been the right time to talk moon mission, eliminating the program at the same time the shuttle program is ending is a sad day for this country. For 50 years we've had a presence in space. We may not have been first, but we certainly led the way for about 40 of those.
    The technology that's been developed from the space program is immense -- including some of the climate change R&D that Obama wants to develop. Apparently those satellites now have little R2-D2 droids to repair, upgrade and take them back to higher orbits.
    I can't help but feel we're taking a giant step backward on a lot of levels here.

Draft saved Draft deleted