1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Artie Lange: unfunny pig, or unfunniest pig ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Beer League is a pretty good movie.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I think last week I saw something on a Howard Stern message board where he had called in "sick" to whatever radio gig he now has. In the past that usually has meant he had relapsed.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I'd say he could go kill himself but, you know, he can't even do that right.
    For the record, I didn't find his comments funny at all but I applaud him for saying "F**k you" to the PC people who demanded an "apology."

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I saw his standup late-night on TV a few weeks ago, and it was hilarious. Was this in acceptable taste? I don't theenk so. But I'm also with schiez that people outside of it who "demand" an apology can STFU.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

His non-apology.

From Artie Lange:

I'm about to say a few things I can't believe have to be explained in a rational world. I observed that Cari Champion was a gorgeous lady. I then thought it would be funny to tweet JOKES about that observation. A decision which might be the end of modern comedy. I would rather load trucks for a living then ever apologize to one of these awful PC groups ruining the country. So that's a NO. But if it upset the lady in question that's another story. Let me say to Cari Champion if this hurt u in any way I'm sorry. I'm a comedian. Sometimes I'm funny! For the record my moms disgusted w the tweets. But if I based my humor on my mom I'd be broke.

They're now telling me I can't appear on @Midnight tonight cause of the pressure they're getting from these groups. But who cares. I love the show & it's my living but who cares. These groups have won again. All I care about is Cari Champion. Truly. But I'm sure you'll be ok. You're gorgeous & talented. I hope that didn't offend u. To the PC army. Congrats! U won again! Gluten free cake! I've been asked not to appear on @midnight & uve ruined any chance I had at dating Cari Champion (That was a joke).

I'm not racist. I don't hate women. And to u PC groups that did this I wanna be clear. Go FUCK yourselves! Now get back to saving the world. Done. Peace.

6. RecoveringJournalist

Unless he's gotten another gig since, I don't think he has a show anymore. His DirecTV sports show was actually pretty good. I was surprised it was canceled.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've never thought Artie Lange was the least bit funny, and I still don't. But I love his response here....he apologizes to the woman he offended and tells everybody else to fuck off. Love it.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I haven't listened to Stern since he went to Sirius, but I always felt sorry for Lange. He's a funny guy, but his greatest asset to the show was stories about his weaknesses, including drugs, drink and food. And he seems to be a pleaser who worshiped Stern and had no willpower.

9. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Slightly? Slightly is like saying we all have a slight dedication to sports writing if we are on this board. Artie Lange's appeal is lost on an old guy like me, granted, but of what I have seen/heard, he just is crass and idiotic and this only proves it. Get another line of work, Artie. And/or some therapy, or both. But leave the humor to actual comics.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Feel sorry? If he was a 180 pound, 5k runner, he'd lose 80% of his schtick. He wouldn't have made it past the Chuckle Hut in Newark.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I always thought he was a dreadful piece of shit, but can't be too hard on dude who tried to kill himself and even failed at that.
    Sorry, but the Stern experience convinced some of these people they were funny and talented.
    Folks who made fun of retarded people.
    They all deserve what they get.

12. RecoveringJournalist

Stern's show hasn't been the same since he left. I went from being a daily listener for 25 years to now I'll listen if Kimmel or Carolla is on or if they have a really interesting star on, but the show lost a lot when Artie left.

For people who don't think he's funny...

The whole clip is funny, but the Bob Uecker story is five minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKWCbgRWFKI

Draft saved Draft deleted