1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Artie Lange destroys Joe Buck

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bullwinkle, Jun 16, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Who's arguing those three points? Not I.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Sly

Sly Active Member

Did you miss that "unfunny" adjective I included?

I've seen Artie Lange on other shows like Letterman and he's behaved himself. Not necessarily my cup of tea, but he treated the host with general respect while doing his brand of humor. To go out there and completely take an unprovoked dump on Joe Buck's first show was completely out of line and classless. And I say that as a guy who wishes FOX would go to someone other than Buck on the World Series coverage.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Please tell me you aren't seriously trying to compare Artie Lange to Richard Pryor or George Carlin. Please.

4. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

i watched the online aftershow and definitely thought Buck was playing along. I'm sure Lange went over the boundaries he thought in his head, but that's his shtick.

5. Grimace

Grimace Guest

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/richard_deitsch/06/16/buck.lange/index.html?bcnn=yes

Here's an si.com story about it from Richard Deitsch.

heh

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sepinwall Tweeted that he doesn't know how Buck got this show and the Lange mess is the only reason people are talking about it.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I've never heard of Artie Lange before checking out this thread.

After seeing those clips and reading up on him, he seems like nothing more than a terminally unfunny waste of skin and oxygen.

To paraphrase the immortal Dean Vernon Wormer: fat, stoned and stupid is no way to go through life.

8. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Buck is just brutal as a host. He made the SNL guy and Paul Rudd look like the two most boring guys on the planet. Love or hate Lange, that segment is unwatchable without him.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Buck, Lange, Favre and Chad Johnson on the same show.

No thanks.

[​IMG]

10. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

11. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I didn't think Lange was particularly funny. I thought he was rude and obnoxious. But that still doesn't take away from the fact that he single-handedly set Joe Buck's first show on fire. And Buck didn't even reach for the water hose. He just sat there and watched as the flames got bigger and bigger.

And I thought it was a little awkward watching Buck laugh at Artie's Tony Homo jokes. Here's a guy who thinks mooning with pants on is a despicable act, and yet cracking gay jokes and cursing like a truck driver on HIS show is okay. At the very least, Buck could have tried to regain control early and tell Artie, "Enough, dude, that's not what we're doing here." Instead, he sat back, Artie got on a roll and it went from there. Given what we know now -- that Buck and the producer of the show wanted Artie to pick up some slack if the show got stale -- I don't have any sympathy.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, that's a weird job of booking your first show. Maybe all this attention justifies it, but a guy like Lange is best kept for the Lettermans and those who have been in the chair a very long time.

Draft saved Draft deleted