1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Artie Lange back on the radio

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Jul 6, 2011.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Wait, so he's not dead?

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Pig.

4. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

A stuck pig.

Actually, I hope this dude is OK. The details surrounding his suicide attempt were horrifying.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Yeah. Not pleasant..
    On January 2, 2010, Lange attempted suicide by repeatedly stabbing himself in the abdomen with a 13-inch kitchen knife.[

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm dying to know the whole story about this. I get the sense that the parting with Stern is not as friendly as Howard likes to make it seem.

The guy is damn good radio and one of the better comedians out there.

7. Mizzougrad96

Stern's show has not been the same since Artie left.

The show has been really bad over the last few months. They need Artie back.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

And Beer League is a fucking hilarious movie.

9. Mizzougrad96

Loved that movie. Very funny...

10. Mizzougrad96

When I traveled to NYC regularly for work, I would always hit the comedy clubs at night. I saw Lange (probably at the Cellar) in late 2001 and when they introduced him as being from The Howard Stern Show, he said, "They haven't hired me yet, I'm just filling in."

He was just working out material, but holy shit was he hilarious. He was doing some relatively tame 9/11 jokes and he stopped after each one and was talking to the crowd. "Is it too soon for these?"

He wasn't even the best comedian there that night (Giraldo and Norton were there too...) but the crowd liked him the best.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Based on people I know who live in hoboken who know him, he's a very nice guy -- too nice.

I think he realizes that he doesn't have the discipline to be on the Stern show (his dream job) and (especially) live the life of a stand up without giving into his demons.

12. Mizzougrad96

I've been a Stern fan for 25 years and I think Stern is at least partially to blame for his breakdown a few years ago. I'm not blaming him for the suicide attempt, but Howard would just lay into him day after day and while it was incredible radio, at some point you have to pull back and say, "What am I doing to this guy?" Howard doesn't or didn't have that filter and while that's why he's so brilliant on the radio, it's also why he comes across as a bit of a sociopath on the air.

Artie's problems were well-established long before he was on Stern, but the biggest reason why Stern liked him so much is because he brought along a neverending list of Cocaine/Heroin/Prostitute/Gambling/Drinking stories that he was just pure radio gold.

Draft saved Draft deleted