1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Article on the Lakers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mitch21, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AnMZ2DRtgkaCe1i7uNsf_qw5nYcB?slug=aw-lastshot122807&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Once the roster had been determined in training camp, Phil Jackson gathered his players for a meeting at the Lakers hotel in Hawaii. All around the room, they were required to stand one by one, give their name and say something about themselves.

And so, the rookies, Javaris Crittenton and Coby Karl, rose, and the old returning champion, Derek Fisher, and finally, the most famous man in the room climbed to his feet.

“Hi, I’m Kobe Bryant and I want to win a championship.”

Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the Lakers and this article.

Having won 10 of its last 12, winning convincingly against the Suns for the 2nd time on Christmas Day, and dominating the Jazz tonight, its hard to not see the Lakers as a contender.

I won't give my opinion as I have been following Kobe since he was 17 and consider him the best player in the game.

Just wanted to get some perspective from others who may not be wearing the purple and yellow glasses like myself.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Did Kobe eat the cracker?

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I thought he just had sex with her in Colorado.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If you call that "eating" ... Ewwwww ...

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Still not even Jan. 1, 2008. Season's end a long way away.

6. What Songbird said.

However, they are playing REALLY well right now and, for the first time since 2004, there's actually some light at the end of the tunnel. The talent is really starting to develop. However, I get laugh about how Kobe is now playing unselfish basketball and trusting his teammates for the first time. Take it from someone who's seen about 90 percent of the Lakers' games in the last few years, it's the same Kobe. It's amazing how unselfish a player looks when his teammates are actually knocking down open shots.

(Edit: When I re-read that, it sounded like I was taking a shot at Bryant. Nothing could be further from the truth. I think he's made every attempt to involve his teammates on the court, but they didn't have the ability or the drive to make it happen. And, that's why he seemed to reach his boiling point after losing to Phoenix -- again -- and showing regression instead of progression. Now we're hearing about a "new Kobe Bryant." I think it was a great move getting Derek Fisher back. He's another veteran voice that could play mediator between the veteran Bryant and the kids.)

I think, best-case scenario for the Lakers is Western Conference Finals. They have the talent to beat Phoenix and Dallas. San Antonio is in a class by itself. The Lakers need another couple years of experience to beat San Antonio (like it took the Pistons a couple tries to beat the Celtics; the Bulls a couple tries to beat the Pistons; etc., etc.).

Draft saved Draft deleted