1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Article about photographers, or the lack thereof

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by IowaScribe, Jun 5, 2013.

1. IowaScribe

IowaScribe New Member

http://www.iowascribe.com/1/post/2013/06/newspapers-arent-dying-theyre-committing-suicide-part-1.html

2. Chuck_Tatum

Chuck_Tatum Member

You hit that one right on the effin' screws.

3. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

As someone who just took a terrible photo that will run on A1 tomorrow, I agree 100 percent.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A-bleepin'-men.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Holy shit. You sound like you worked with me.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

No, he sounds like he worked with a lot of us.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Damn, that's spot-on, IowaScribe ... especially this part about the "nitwits taking photos":

The only question I had is which "McPaper" in Iowa you had to watch being ruined. (and I realize you're keeping it anonymous).

Sad truth is, I can think of several shops that went through what you described during the 2000s, when I worked in and traveled around eastern Iowa.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Uh, yeah, this is pretty much exactly what happened at the rag I worked at until January.

9. PirateSports

PirateSports Member

Very interesting and true piece, but I think there's another takeaway from this. The more skills you have now, the better your chances of surviving.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, this is a disturbing trend. Not only is it an insult to the craft of photography as a whole, it makes the entire paper worse. Lost count of the number of times as a designer I was forced to run crap as centerpiece art just because it was "local" and taken by a reporter.

I don't know which is more unrealistic: asking reporters to produce good photos or asking photographers to produce good copy.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Photos getting copy. You can shoot 700 frames and get lucky. You can't write 700 words and do the same.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I swear I just had the exact same conversation on Sunday and again tonight. Spot on and damn depressing.

Damn I'm outta beer.

Draft saved Draft deleted