1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arrow

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TurnTwo2, Nov 7, 2012.

1. TurnTwo2

TurnTwo2 Member

I'm thoroughly enjoying the CW's new show thus far. Is anyone else watching?

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Wife loves it...I am still waiting to check it out. Been killing my other shows first. Will let you know my thoughts once I catch up.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I thought "Smallville" started out semi-interesting and went way downhill really fast, and since (I guess) this is a spinoff of one of the things I hated most about that series (total disregard of EVERY version of 'canon,' Clark Kent meeting every hero in the DC universe long before he ever became Superman), I think I'll pass.

4. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Not a spin-off. This version has nothing to do with Smallville.

5. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I really like it. I'm digging the twists and I am anxious to see how this new teammate works out.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

As Bradley pointed out, this is not a spin-off, though Green Arrow was a major character on Smallville. I was one of the viewers Smallville lost in the middle of its run, but I gave it another shot and it was actually pretty good the last few seasons.

I meant to check out Arrow from the first episode, but completely forgot about it. Will have to check it out.

7. I'm watching Arrow, sort of enjoying it, but it helps that it's not up against anything that appeals to me in its time slot. Never watched Smallville, so no preconceptions. My biggest complaints about Arrow are that it's entirely predictable and the secondary characters need some fleshing out.

8. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Reminds me of Burn Notice, actually.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So did Clark ever actually become Superman on Smallville? I loved that show for the first five or six seasons, but once Lois and Green Arrow got introduced, it really went downhill.

I remember when the show began the writers saying they had a six-season arc planned. It went, what, 11 seasons? I got tired of waiting for him to become what he was supposed to be.

I'd pick up the DVDs if I know that they finally got on track at the end and brought it to a satisfying conclusion.

Green Arrow just holds little interest to me. Was never a fan of the character.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've been watching online. I'm about 2 1/2 episodes in.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If all you wanted to see was Clark as Superman, no, you probably don't want to watch all of what you missed on DVD.

If you an accept it as not being the Superman you know, but some entertaining stories about another version of Clark Kent, then it's probably worth it. The show was weakest in the middle seasons, but it got better near the end. It was never a great show, but it was entertaining. I liked it enough at the end that I've been reading "Season 11." There is a DC comic that picks up where the series left off.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, yeah, eventually, kinda -- you saw snippets, smidgens, partial shots, a long-distance CGI shot -- but you never actually saw Welling in the full S-suit.

I watched about half the episodes for the first four seasons, then dropped off to a handful of partial shows per season. I did make the effort to watch the final episode.

Apparently Welling, who was a co-executive producer of the show by the late seasons and certainly had up-and-down veto power on the issue, was really fixated on his supposed onetime vow to never actually don the full suit on camera -- which kind of tanked the entire premise of the series.

Draft saved Draft deleted