1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ARod on opting out and Boras

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Unless A-Rod wants to opt out of this deal down the road ... He is done with Boras anyhow.

By the time this deal runs out, A-Rod'll be 42. What else can Boras do for him besides pocketing that fat percentage of A-Rod's deal every month?

2. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

1. A-Rod is not going to be done with Boras. Boras and A-Rod talk constantly. Agents do more than negotiate contracts.

2. Of course there is an opt-out clause and he will probably opt out again, in six years, after earning about $195 million and breaking the home run record.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

They did this conference call before the Mitchell report came out, correct?

How stupid and fradulent would have those reporters felt had Rodriguez's name been all over the report?

"Oh, I had A-Rod on the phone earlier today, but the Yankees said no steroid questions, so I didn't ask."

Not sure that's a conference call I'd want to be in on, considering the groundrules.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

I think A-Rod's problem is that he tries to please everybody.

I may be one of the rare people who doesn't blame Scott Boras for the evils of baseball and the world. I don't think A-Rod could lay the blame on his agent - he knew about the money as far as the portion that Texas was paying, and if he wanted to sign with the Yankees that was a big factor. For crying out loud, everybody in New York knew that.

I would seek Warren Buffett for advice over Scott Boras, but Scott Boras has done well for a lot of players. This may have been the one time when he overestimated the market, but A-Rod wasn't forced into any decisions by Boras.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The one time, Gold? Boras also thought he could command entirely too much for Andruw Jones, and he had to settle for the two-year deal the Dodgers offered.

Scott Boras frequently overestimates the market, though IMO not as often as GMs overestimate the market value of many of his signings.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I know Andruw got $18M+ for a couple of years ... Dodgers placated egos by making sure his annual haul was a little more than Torii Hunter's.

But Boras was thinking a Carlos Beltran-level deal for an outfielder who's out of shape and had a sub-par year. He wanted a nine-figure deal for Andruw - and fell far short.

Draft saved Draft deleted