1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Army Times' Top 10 military films

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Jul 7, 2007.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

you know what top gun did for military recruiting? maybe that's why it's on there

and, well, the flying scenes are awesome. the rest is dreck.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Don't forget about the non-combat/battle units the military -- Good Morning Vietnam

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Great movie and Joe Galloway character (played by Barry Pepper) is a real writer who covered the military for Knight Ridder for years until retiring recently.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bridge of the River Kwai was the best written war movie.

I have a personal fondness for the Guns of Navarone.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

And the reason it was not a flattering representation is because it's an anti-war movie, right?

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

We know they're pussies. 8)

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've never seen it, but I know the reputation of The Longest Day. How that isn't on the list is beyond me.

You can make a case for Top Gun, since it is single-handedly credited with a spike in Navy recruits in the mid-80s. But if you pick it based on that, then Saving Private Ryan absolutely has to be there. What it has done for making people appreciate WWII vets is at least on the same level as what Top Gun did for the Navy.
    And even if you're just going for a "snapshot" of a point in military history, how can you do better than the opening scene on the beach?
    You could even make the case that Top Gun and Saving Private Ryan are the two most influential war movies, in terms of effects on American culture, of the last 30 years.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Buckdub, you're in more dire need of a blowjob than any white man in history.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

2nd-most dire man ...

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

We Were Soldiers was a tremendous movie that has to be on the list. Gen Hal Moore was really at the forefront of starting the Air Cav.The book is even better. Its a true story based on one of the first major battles in I Drang Valley - 1965. It the first battle that the US knew they were in a war.

Bruce Crandall who was Chopper pilot played by Greg Kinear just was awarded the Medal of Honor.

Here is link to a very good web site:

http://www.lzxray.com/

Movie was first shown at West Point with General Moore in the audience. When film ended the whole place stood up and gave him a standing ovation. Talk about chills.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I love it too. But it pales in comparison to the other classics on the thread, hence my use of the blue font.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Speaking of "The Green Berets," as someone was earlier, didn't the sun set in an impossible sort of way at the end?

Draft saved Draft deleted