1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Army sees all time best recruiting results.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Oct 14, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

All those commercials during college football and basketball games must really be paying dividends.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think it's the sponsorship of the NASCAR team.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

My friend's son graduated high school last spring and enlisted in the Marines. He's not shipping out for basic training till next year because they have so many recruits.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

A good friend of mine recruits for the Navy and that branch has had no problems finding new recruits. And he works in an area where battleship is a board game and the only water anyone ever sees is frozen in the form of snow.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

My brother joined the Army in November or December, I believe. Reported to Basic Training in mid January. Now stationed in El Paso, Texas. Going to be deployed no later than August 2010. He'll be done in January 2012, but there's a 99 percent chance he's going to re-up for three more years.

Despite the fact that there are two wars brewing, he knows it was the best thing for him, and he hasn't had a moment's regret.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's good to hear. As DanO pointed to out, to do that during a two-front war is really impressive. I think the economy is probably the biggest factor, but frankly, it doesn't matter. Good people are being employed and if they are grunts, they're probably learning valuable skills that might land them a job outside the military should they decide to re-enter civilian life.

Hopefully they all get through their deployments safely.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If I could do it all over again, I would have joined the military after college. The friends and relatives I have who are in it, love it and there's a lot to be said for that kind of job security and benefits.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Back in HS, a friend and I went down to the Marines recruiting office, took the tests, blah, blah, blah. They told us when we'd be shipped out to Basic Training. I thought about it and decided against it. Prolly a good decision. Actually, I'm not even sure what the hell I was thinking. I'm the last person who should join any kind of military operation, let alone the bad-ass Marines.

Then again, I never thought my little brother would ever join the Army, and here he is....

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Got to be the job situation. I remarked to someone just the other day that, "damn, these privates are getting older and older."

When I went through basic in 1996, I can only remember one or two guys over 20 or 21 ... and they had both completed their educations before coming in. Now, it's nothing to see a 30-year old private. In fact, it's common.

The unintended consequence is we're getting a much more mature soldier, rather than an 18-year old who's going to stay in trouble and do stupid shit that takes up a bunch of my time. On the other hand, they're usually not in good shape, like the younger guys are, and you have to spend a little more time with them to get them in fighting shape.

My only complaint is, where the fuck are they? Everyone I know is short on everything ... medics, mechanics, commo guys, flight ops guys. Everything but lieutenants. God damn, we've got lieutenants (myself included) fucking stumbling all over one another for flight time.

Anyway, yeah, the economy is turning folks to a pretty sure paycheck -- even though it may not be the best paycheck on the planet.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Be all that you can be. Isn't that still the slogan?

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted