1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Army orders Detroit Lions draft pick Caleb Campbell to active duty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Jul 23, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Depending on what branch he was assigned to, he could have up to two years before he's ready to serve (see: full, three_bags). Most males from West Point are assigned to what we used to call combat arms branches: aviation, infantry, artillery, engineers, armor. Those are some fairly lengthy training cycles. I have a friend who graduated with me last May (and was assigned to the armor branch) and he just got to Afghanistan about a month ago.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

Um, Hondo.... I knew that. The polls which show Obama is doing well appears to have erased your sense of humor.

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

So, wait. According to that story, they're pulling him out of Lions training camp so he can be ... an assistant football coach?

You can't make up something that good.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

An embarrassing gaffe on the CNN.com story about this today. See if you can spot it here in the second graf:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/25/academy.athletes/index.html

5. chester

chester Member

First round, seventh round, what's the difference?

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

First, seventh ... who cares?

It's all the same, right?

EDIT: Dammit, Chester! :D

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Ah, who cares about accuracy, it's only on the internets. It's not like it's in print. It can always be fixed.

8. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story [/blue font]

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

What Good For The Goose Dept.: The Army catches up with the State College Spikes of the New York-Penn League, sending two of their players back into active duty. One of them was the team's leading hitter.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Looking at the Spikes' record, you would think they couldn't get any worse. Well, now they can.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You mean the polls that show McCain catching up ... which is pretty much all of them?

12. ramgrad08

ramgrad08 New Member

I don't care what the kid signed, if the Army tells the guy he can pursue a pro career and then switches up on him less than six months later, thats just messed up. Oh, but I'm sure they just had to have them. I swear, if I even thought I had a one percent chance to make it to the NFL I wouldn't even open a letter from a military academy. But hey, once you sign up, you're pretty much just another pawn in the military's chess match anyway, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted