1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Armageddon at ESPN today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

She is the little-known, sideline-reporting sister of Joel and Ethan Cohen.

cjericho likes this.
  2. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

All of the recognizable "talent" are on contracts, so they wouldn't be subject to layoffs, I don't think. On the editorial side, I would guess there are a lot of editors, producers, directors who will be deemed expendable or replaceable given their salaries and the ease with which the company would be able to fill their positions, either by combing them with others or hiring cheaper foot-in-the-door types. Pretty clear this is the end of the glory days of ESPN, at least from their employees' perspective.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When they cut Howie Schwab a few years back, it was pretty clear the golden days were over. I wouldn't be surprised if ESPN put everyone they could a new pay model, seasonal employment by sport, subcontracting more production.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Also known as addition by subtraction.

Tweener likes this.
  6. cjericho

Does he get residuals from Stump the Schwab shows?

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Do they still run them? And I don't what kind of contract covers a show like that. SAG? AFTRA? Neither? But Schwab was part of the DNA of that place.

8. cjericho

Think they do on espn classic. But somehow that is an extra pay channel on my directtv package, which has pretty much every other espn channel.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Mentioned above about board favorite IJAG: She's hasn't been at the mothership for a few years. Cuts suck no matter where they come, either at the local daily bleeding hundreds or a cable network still printing thousands a day. Good luck to all.

spikechiquet likes this.
  10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I believe Gus Ramsey, who's been an ESPN producer for a long time, also was among the cuts.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

You don't say? :) ^^^^^ So, they can continue to hire every coach who gets the axe and every at-least-mediocre former player to shout at me on the air, but they can't pay the people behind the scenes? Sounds familiar. And sad.

SFIND and Tweener like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted