1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arkansas--land of drama

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spup1122, Feb 18, 2007.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Is this a d_b? I haven't seen it on the last three pages of news and sports...

Frank Broyles announced his retirement yesterday to the Arkansas board of curators (or whatever they're called at UA).

Apparently 50 years was enough.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'm assuming it was somewhere on the updated updated update thread about the updated update, or whatever it ended up being called.

Malzahn is single-handedly destroying that program. Even after leaving.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I don't blame Malzahn for this. I blame Nutt. If Nutt wanted to be head coach and offensive coordinator, he probably shouldn't have hired Malzahn. I know he wanted to get those four players, but it was pretty shady to hire someone and then put them on the backburner for most of the season.

Plus, Broyles has been there 50 years. There was speculation that he would stay there until he died, but people have been calling for his head (not to mention Nutt's and Heath's) for awhile.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

How is any of this on Malzahn, IJAG?
    Nutt brought him in just to get those 4 HS players. Nutt's the one who sold his soul, then decided he had no use for his new OC or for some of the players that came with him.

Broyles is about 100 years old, well past retirement time .. but it's Nutt who's fucking up that program.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I didn't phrase that well.

The HIRING of Malzahn is destroying that program. Even after his departure.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Nutt didn't want Malzahn. Broyles wanted Malzahn. And Daddy always gets what he wants.

A year ago Nutt wanted to hire David Lee away from the Dallas Cowboys. Which is exactly what he did once Malzahn left for Tulsa this year.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I'm sure if they'd won and stayed in national championship contention, Nutt and Broyles would be considered heroes, but they didn't and the two are pretty much embarrassments around the state from what I hear.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Pat Forde had a good column yesterday on Broyles, one that talked about everything he had done and how the NCAA would never see another AD that so completely ran a program and state. It would be fair to say that no one in college athletics has ever had as much influence as Broyles. The amount of money he's raised is in the billions.
    But he took a huge hit when he couldn't keep Tennessee on the permanent football schedule. It was the one game that was developing into something for football and he was desperate to keep them on, but he was told no and the spiral in power outside the state began.
    In state, as Forde said, he's one of the four most important people ever. Ranks with the Clintons, Waltons and Tysons.
    Its probably fair to say that Broyles leaving can be at least partially credited to message boards. The same ones who call for Arkansas to get the death penalty as a way to get rid of Nutt and how fans can turn in Arkansas to the NCAA for violations.
    Those fans, those Arkansas football fans are like Kentucky basketball fans, but at least Kentucky has the conference and national championships to back it up.
    Arkansas has never won an NCAA recognized national title in football, no SEC title in 15 years and only a couple, three SEC West crowns. But if you talk to anyone who is a fan, they say that next year will be the year for them to win it all.
    It goes beyond delusional.

Draft saved Draft deleted