1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arkansas Democratic Party Chair Shot, Killed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by newgrad2008, Aug 13, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Re: Arkansas Democratic Party Chair Shot

Can we get the thread title updated with the victim dying? Just an idea.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Obviously Gwatney was targeted. The shooter asked for Gwatney by name. A radio report I heard suggested he asked to be a Democratic volunteer worker as his ruse to access Gwatney.

Searcy is not exactly known as a liberal fortress. They could've set the scene of "Footloose" there. I'm just saying.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Found at the home:
    A personal computer, a bottle of prescription anti-depressants; a "sticky note" bearing the word "Gwatney'" and a telephone number; a Smith and Wesson gun box; unspecified paperwork; a Browning .22-caliber pistol; a Thompson 50-caliber rifle; a CZ rifle; a Remington model 700 rifle; a Benelli double-barrel shotgun; a CZ rifle; a 12-gauge shotgun; a CZ M-1 carbine; a U.S. M-1 rifle; a Mohawk 600/308 rifle; a CZ 20-gauge shotgun; a Winchester .22-rifle; a Remington .25/06 muzzle loader; a New Englander muzzle loader; two sets of keys with a Gwatney dealership emblem and the last will and testament of Timothy Johnson.

Pet theory is that guy knew he was going to kill Gwatney yesterday. went out with a bang at his job. went home to get his guns and then went to kill Gwatney because he had called in advance to find out when he would be in.
    Gwatney didn't keep regular hours, so for Johnson to know he was in, he would to have to have called.
    It might have been over a car deal gone bad or maybe something else. The hope is that the computer seized will give more clues.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Odd that two of the rifles are just listed as "CZ rifles," while others are more specific.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Cubic Zirconia rifles.

They were fake. ???

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

They didn't throw in the floor mats?

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Aww, I love unprovoked attacks. Makes me feel loved.

As for the story, my only question is..........how can you support the 2nd ammendment (as a blanket statement to allow guns) and not think that, maybe, just maybe, there should be some kind of laws that prevent guys like this from loading up like they're going to war?

I'll now retreat to my computer and wait for someone to tell me A.) that I hate America and B.) That if you control guns, only criminals will have them.

8. Inky_Wretch

Having 13 rifles (two of which we know are muzzleloaders, perhaps more are as well) and two shotguns isn't that uncommon among hunters and target shooters.

9. Overrated

Overrated Guest

No attack...just a little fun. You'd know if I was attacking you.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Solid point, but I still think that's a bit excessive. How many guns do you really need?

Yeah, but I would hope the people around me don't just whistle while you work. :)

11. Inky_Wretch

Depends on what you're into.

The Benelli double-barrel shotgun, for example, is likely used for skeet or sporting clays or even quail hunting. It's a higher-end firearm. The 12-gauge shotgun could be a cheaper one that's used for duck hunting, where it's likely to get scraped up and dropped in the mud.

I've read one story where this guy was involved in Cowboy Action Shooting, which is a whole subset/fetish of target shooting. The guns used in those competitions wouldn't be used in other competitions, or for hunting.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Some of the guns were inherited from his father. Both were competitive shooters and were members of a gun club.
    His total gun count was 16 or 17, since conflicting reports have emerged on how many guns he has had in the car.
    He was also treated for mental illness at a treatment center in his hometown.

Draft saved Draft deleted