1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arizona, site of next Super Bowl, sends anti-gay bill to governor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm sure Arizona legislators will have zero problem if a Sharia-based Islamic-owned business refuses to serve women unless they're wearing burquas. Since, after all, they'd be having a religious objection.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Re: Arizona, site of next Super Bowl, OKs anti-gay law

[​IMG]

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If all the sports leagues and governing bodies pulled their games out of states with illogical laws, we'd all be watching games being played in Switzerland.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If only the rest of us had such lofty goals.

5. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Yanno, there was pre-Olympics hysterics about the treatment of gays in Russia during the Olympics. I didn't see a single incident report other than Pussy Riot, which has been shit-slinging at Putin for years...so that doesn't count. I don't see it being an issue in Qutar. A country can have its laws and get along with others for a couple weeks as long as someone doesn't try to call them out on it.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That makes one-half of one of us.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Three Senators who voted for the bill have now written a letter asking the Governor to veto it. One of them is the co-sponsor of the bill.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If the NFL pulled Super Bowl XXVII out of Arizona over not observing Martin Luther King Day, then they should not hesitate to pull it out over this law.
    If its signed into law will Michael Sam have a problem getting served somewhere when his team visits the Cardinals?

9. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Get ready for the usual line of "as the bill was amended, it got away from my original intent."

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Doubtful. Unless someone goes around flouting it, it's not all that noticeable. I never have asked anyone about it; it's always the other party who brings the subject up. I could walk through the mall and wouldn't have a clue who is gay and who is straight. Nor would I care.

Besides, EStreetJoe, it seems highly doubtful that all or most businesses in a community are going to choose to discriminate. If they do, that's their business, but to suggest that a customer can't find any place to be serviced seems a bit of a stretch.

I have no idea why this is such a big deal to some people. The race and gender things make more sense, because they seem more obvious. When I see a person across the parking lot, the first two things that get noticed are their gender and race. Sexual orientation is much less obvious, at least to me.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's actually a perfect textbook example of how the miracle of the free market is supposed to work: if a certain organization engages in policies a certain segment of the citizenry find objectionable, the citizenry votes with its feet and its pocketbooks.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

"Why are you worried about bigotry? You can just hide what you are!"

The truly sad thing is the first person who ever said something like that to me was African American. She was trying to explain to me why being Jewish doesn't really make me a member of a minority. I was about to say that I don't think even Mark is that clueless to think this is acceptable, then I remembered that woman and realized he wouldn't be the only one.

Draft saved Draft deleted