1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arizona Republic intern jumps off paper's parking garage to kill self

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Dec 23, 2011.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say waste, but I wish he could have gotten the help he needed before it came to this.

Someone on this board once posted, and I cannot remember who it was, that a person with a healthy mind does not take their own life. I hope there is truth in that statement.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't even want to know what this means.

3. Ughh. How terrible.

4. 93Devil

That suicide can be prevented, or suicidal thoughts, with proper medication or care or just something, possibly a call from a friend. Maybe I am wrong, but I really would like to think there is something for everyone that is seriously thinking about killing themselves that will prevent them from killing themselves. I don't want to get more morbid than this.

It was post on this board a long time ago that really made me think, but I cannot find it.

Hopefully that makes sense.

5. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Still waiting for the Republic to acknowledge this was one of its employees.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I meant "waste" because it sounds like the kid had a ton going for him and had a good future ahead of him.

Very sad....

7. imjustagirl

Not even remotely.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I came closer than I can bear to think to losing my brother to suicide last year. He was the strongest, most disciplined person I knew and I saw him reduced to a man who could do nothing but lay on a sofa and shudder for days on end.

Logic does not apply. I know this from his experience and my own.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ditto.

10. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

Not that you need affirmation, 93Devil, but that seems to make a lot of sense to me. Seems kinda hopeless to think otherwise.

11. imjustagirl

I guess where I differ, ATCF, is the implication that only people with "unhealthy" minds kill themselves. His first and second posts argue totally different points.

Do we need to hope there is a way to save everyone who is considering such a drastic measure? Of course. Getting people the help they need, drastic or not, is all we can hang our hats on.

But the "a person with a healthy mind does not take their own life. I hope there is truth in that statement" reads as he hopes we never lose a "healthy-minded" person, but those souls with the unhealthy minds are no real loss.

12. 93Devil

Not what I meant.

If a person is sticking a gun in their mouth and thinking about pulling the trigger, this is not a normal behavior and they need help.

I have no idea where you are getting human loss is no big deal from any of my posts here.

Draft saved Draft deleted