1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arizona Republic intern jumps off paper's parking garage to kill self

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Usually Gannett employees only wish they were dead.

RIP.

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Daniel Kemp, sophomore. RIP.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Goodness, has it really come to this. If INTERNS just can't take it anymore, what does it say about us grizzled veterans who have known little else as adults.

4. Mizzougrad96

Sadly, this is not uncommon anymore. There are five people who I knew during my time in journalism who have taken their own lives in the last 4+ years. Most had other issues as well, but the suicides all came shortly after they lost their jobs.

It's very sad.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

RIP

If he was chosen for this internship, the sweetest one at ASU when I went here, the kid must have had some talent. Maybe things have changed since I was there almost 20 years ago, but I am guessing he had some real potential as a writer.

6. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Very sad. Rest in peace.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure that was the knee-jerk reaction of many when seeing the thread title, but the reality is, who the heck knows what demons were plaguing this young man? Maybe journalism was the least of them. Maybe not. But this business certainly doesn't have the market cornered on suicide.

8. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I was one of the I'm sure zillions who did not manage to get this internship back during my days at the Cronkite School. It's a sign of a solid student and student journalist, if nothing else, and that he had enough going for him that this is even more mystifying than these things always are. I can't speculate about the kid beyond that. RIP. My thoughts're with his fellow students, as well as his family of course.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Very true. People who pour their hearts and soul into something --- as a lot of journalists I know do --- can end up going off the deep end when things don't go well. Not saying the media business was the main factor in this case.

10. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

12. Mizzougrad96

What a complete waste... Just awful...

Draft saved Draft deleted