1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arizona Republic Cuts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jcrutchmer, Nov 14, 2006.

1. jcrutchmer

jcrutchmer Guest

I emphatically caution that I have not independently confirmed this as of noon CST, but few industry sites are buzzing this morning with news that the Arizona Republic laid off 31 employees, including 7-8 in the newsroom, and a couple of sports editors.

I posted this link to one such discussion at sportsdesigner.com this morning. At least two Republic designers say it's true on that thread.

My experience at the Republic is that the paper was already operating on bare bones, so I have no idea where these cuts would come from.

If anyone sees an official note from Gannett or the AZR before I do, please toss a link up here.

Josh Crutchmer
    Omaha World-Herald
    Sportsdesigner.com

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

A Phoenix alt-weekly on its blog listed Peter Madrid as one of those let go. Was he an ASE there or a deputy? I seem to remember he used to be an SE in Tucson.
    I do know another ASE was let go.

3. Being someone who used to work for Peter in Tucson, that's a real shame. As good of a sports editor he is/was, he's an even better person. Hopefully someone will quickly snatch him up, and should.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Wow. I met Peter at the APSE convention several years ago. A very classy individual, actually listened to the concerns of a small-town paper and made sme helpful suggestions, without big-timing me. I wonder about the future of our business when we force out guys like Peter.

5. Furry Tractor

Furry Tractor Member

Echo the previous sentiments about Peter Madrid -- one of the better guys among editor types I've encountered. Imagine what Gannett will do if it gets a hold of Tribune Co....

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Wow, that really sucks if it's true. Peter has always been very good to me, and was a big advocate of the small newspaper gaining representation in APSE, regional and national.

7. Running Bear

Running Bear Member

I met Pete earlier this year. Seemed like a great guy.

An earlier post said another ASE got the boot. Anyone know who that is?

While I'm at it, does anyone know who was let go on news side?

8. jcrutchmer

jcrutchmer Guest

The other ASE was a summer hire away from Miami. He had not been there long at all.

9. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

The hire from the Miami Herald was Paul Barrett. He had two stints at the Republic along with two at the Miami Herald.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Does anyone have a list or link of the people who were let go?

11. slipshod

slipshod Member

31 let go, apparently all mid-management types, eight in newsroom, the only one in sports were the aforementioned pair. Came as a shock to everyone. No one saw it coming. Barrett had been recruited to come back from Miami and had been on the job only two months. Recently got a condo in Phoenix...Supposedly he got three weeks severence, wasn't there long enough to qualify for benefits. Presumably Peter got a better severence deal since he had been with Gannett for so long.

Draft saved Draft deleted