1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arizona refuses to allow freshman center to transfer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Nov 5, 2008.

1. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Nope; they're acting as representatives of the university. If they leave it doesn't change the contract.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'd move No. 5 ahead of No. 4. The coaches are allowed to leave their schools for a better offer without having to sit out a year.

3. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Once a kid enrolls at a school and wants to transfer, the school doesn't necessarily have to release the kid. If this happens, he/she can transfer to any school they want, but unless they are released, they wouldn't be allowed to talk to the coaches from that school until school actually starts. They also wouldn't be allowed to accept a scholarship from athletics during that year.

Most schools won't release a kid to a conference school or a rival that they normally play. They will however release the kid to any school that they wouldn't mind seeing him play at.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

See, there is not "mutuality" in the LOI. The school gets to decide each year if they want to cut the player, but the player likewise does not get the right to terminate each year, they are delayed. I however do see that you cannot allow immediate termination because then there would be bidding wars each year and kids bouncing all over the place. I think the best solution is mandatory partial (2-3) or full scholarships, not just 1 yr renewables.

Draft saved Draft deleted