1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Argument at work today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Re: Arguement at work today

What, I get no credit for pointing that out 4 hours ago?

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i don't know the name of a single ad rep in our building, nor do i care to learn one. they go about their business, i go about mine.

i do see the head ad dude quite often, though, but i'll be damned if i can ever remember his name. he's "heeeeeeeey, man. what's up?"

3. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Ads occasionally influence USAT copy. They'll have a 1/4 or 1/2 page ad from a major company and have to find a story related to that sport to run with it. Most frequent offender is golf. The partnership explains a lot of the head scratching, out of season story selections they make.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Full credit. I was just pointing out the proper spelling.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

*Raising hand*

Pick me, pick me, pick me!

I know the answer, in fact, I just wrote a column in our Sunday paper within the last month about this very subject. (At the risk of outing myself - I'm the business editor at my paper.)

I'd been planning on doing this for a while but after receiving a rather nasty e-mail from a PR rep wanting to know why a brief didn't run "and we spend $XXXX per month advertising in your paper" - I decided it was time to 'set the record straight' so to speak.

In a nutshell, news hole is not for sale. You want it in and on a certain date - you purchase an ad. I reserve the right to edit all submissions for the business briefs, and it is my decision when and if it runs.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Should I go to your previous posts and search for typos, wiseass? Did you know I made the post after working 16 hours straight?

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

By all means, feel free.

And no I didn't. Nor do I care.

Keep putting yourself up on that cross, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted