1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arguing about sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Aug 11, 2009.

1. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Thank Jim Rome & The Mouse and your favorite sports talk radio blowhard.

They've elevated the idea of having "a take" on everything, and defending it to the hilt (and being contrarian) to art form, and to feel informed, every Dick, Jack and Harry has to have a "take" on everything. And if you disagree (or follow a different team), you're an idiot.

2. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Even more annoying friend...]
    Friend: So, you want to play in an outing Sept. 5?
    ME: No, have to work.
    Friend: How do you know you have to work in a month?
    ME: Have to cover Ohio State-Navy game.
    Friend: Cool, can you get me tickets?
    ME: Uhhhhh.....

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I find most people stupid and annoying, regardless of the subject. :D

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Feeling's mutual.

:) <--- means you can't get mad.

5. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Yeah I have noticed more and more that all family and friends want to do is talk sports with me at cookouts or parties. And by talk I mean sound like WEEI's Big Show - yelling back and forth and over each other about the stupidest things. I just walk away or say I don't want to talk about work right now it's my weekend. It normally pisses them off, but oh well.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

What I hate are the people who automatically dismiss arguing sports with me because I'm a chick.

One night my dad and uncle are trying to recall a baseball player's name. First they call my older guy cousin, the accountant. Then they call my younger guy cousin, the lawyer. Then they call my brother, the lawyer.

Finally the fourth call they make is to the SPORTS EDITOR in the family, and I answered the damn question before they finished asking it.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

What she said :)

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

In that situation, it's not even about sports. It's about having friends who are so tin-eared they actually think they need to call you 30 seconds later and say, "Wow, could you believe that? They blew a 10-point lead in the last three minutes!" Like you want to talk about it at that moment.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So when you watch games at home or at a bar and your team loses, do you immediately switch the conversation to best TV shows of the 80s or something to avoid talking about what you just saw?

10. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Would you rather them argue about politics? At least sports doesn't take and waste money out of my pocket like political people do, unless I choose to let them.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

No, you take a couple minutes to sit there and intermittently exclaim, "Fuckl!" And the last thing you want is some jackass calling up and going, "Dude, did you SEE that?" It means the caller is either a) someone who doesn't know you well enough to know how much the game meant to you and what a shitty mood you're likely to be in in the immediate aftermath; or b) an asshole trying to rub it in.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

To make it clear....I'm just giving you a hard time.

Wanna watch the game Saturday. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted